unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc9 Available

limetech

Download | Release Notes

Please post issues in the unRAID OS 5.0-rc Board

I'll give this a week or so and unless some glaring issue is discovered, this release will be re-versioned as "final".

The changes here are to address stability, performance, and some bugs.

In particular, after installing this release, please re-run the "New Permissions" utility.  This will correct a longstanding problem with permissions, namely that if you create a directory in a Public or Secure share while being logged in as some user, "anonymous" or "guest" users would not be able to enter that directory.  The way this issue is fixed is by including the "other" permission bits in the set of bits managed by the protocol engines (Samba and AFP).

When you click on the New Permissions utility it will open a new browser window in which to run.  The main browser window with the webGui will not "hang" during this process.  You can click on the Main tab and watch the read/write counters increment as the New Permissions script runs.  If you close the window where New Permissions is running, it will also cancel the operation, so don't do that until the operation has finished.

On the subject of the webGui appearing to "hang", I've also addressed a couple other areas where this can appear: clearing new disks added to an existing array, and copying parity to a new parity disk in the "swap disable" case.  In both of these cases, the webGui will not hang and you can refresh the window to watch the read/write counters increment.  (Although the clear operation runs without any throttling in order to finish ASAP so when you click Refresh during clear it might take 5 seconds or so for the window to refresh.)

Other changes of note:

- The drive spin-down logic has been reworked (again).  Now all "out of band" commands to interrogate disk spinning status have been removed from the background spin-down checking thread.  Previously it was using 'hdparm' to check spinning status and now this is done a different way.  The result is the elimination of an elusive media playback glitch I've been chasing for quite a long while now.  Note that if you click 'Refresh' on the webGui during media playback it's still possible (though not guaranteed) to cause a glitch in any media playback occurring.  Also on subject of media playback glitches: if you use DHCP to assign your local server IP address make sure you configure your DHCP server to return a long lease time.  Re-negotiating an IP address lease has also been known to cause media playback glitches.  Personally, I use static IP for my main media playback server.

- Now using latest linux 3.4.x kernel (3.4.24).  Unless some compelling reason comes up, I will be sticking with the 3.4.x kernel series for a while now since it's the latest to be maintained as "long term support", see:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1346679

- Now using the latest Realtek driver.  Everyone who is using a Realtek NIC: please test this out and see if your NIC works with this release.

- Now using latest Samba 3.6.x release (3.6.10)

Edit: You might be wondering what just happened to the site??  Well we need to make some changes to the website that require a newer version of php than provide by our ISP.  They said they needed to migrate the site to a different physical server to do that and I said, "ok", not thinking they were going to do it right then and there before I had a chance to put forum in maintenance mode... I apologize for any lost posts...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Release notes link failing.

Warning: Parameter 1 to AutoAuthenticateSMF() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/limetech/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 117

Internal error

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Release notes link failing.

Warning: Parameter 1 to AutoAuthenticateSMF() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/limetech/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 117

Internal error

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Yes I see that.  It's part of the site migration mentioned in the Edit of the first post.  Can't fix it until migration is complete.  Upgrading is just the same as before (replace bzimage/bzroot), but with extra step of running the 'New Permissions' utility.

Many thanks for the update, Tom - much appreciated.  I'm just about to load rc9a.

However, before you go 'final', would you please have a look at my reply to your post here.  I have a strong suspicion that my experience was not just a random happening, but that there is a hole in the code somewhere.

Many thanks for the update, Tom - much appreciated.  I'm just about to load rc9a.

However, before you go 'final', would you please have a look at my reply to your post here.  I have a strong suspicion that my experience was not just a random happening, but that there is a hole in the code somewhere.

Yes there's a bug, fixed in -rc9b.