Help creating shortcut/script

First off, I know nothing about scripting so I'm not sure if it's what's needed or not.  What I would like to do is create an icon on the desktop of my Vista workstation that starts putty, makes the connection to my unraid server, enters root, and starts midnight commander.  Can someone help me out with this?

I don't use putty, so I can't help with all of this.

From my brief review, I don't know if you can do everything with putty and telnet.

(unless you change root's login profile).

I.E. in ~root create a file called .bash_profile and put the call to mc in it.

But that will run everytime you login.

With ssh you can do almost all of this however the setup is much more involved.

From what I was able to do.

Create a new session in SESSION.

Enter your unraid hostname

Then in CONNECT / DATA

Enter root in Auto-Login username

I think the terminal type has to be linux.

Then go back to session, and SAVE it.

There must be a way to start putty with a specific session, but I haven't figured that out yet.

It doesn't have to be putty.  I just found it today while browsing the unraid wiki and loved that I could use a mouse in midnight commander.  I haven't had much chance to play with it yet as evidenced that I didn't know about setting it to enter the password under CONNECT/DATA.  Thanks for that.

I don't understand the first part aboutcreating the .bash_profile file to call mc.  I call mc from within putty so what will that file do?

Putty has a "Saved Sessions" feature that will save you some steps.  Enter the host name (or ip), then select Telnet.  Then instead of clicking Open, go to the saved sessions box and type in 'Tower' or 'unRAID' or whatever you want the name to be and click save.  Then the next time you launch putty all you have to do is double click the saved name and you will be at the unRaid login prompt.