Need help and advice configuring apcupsd

dikkiedirk

Depends on your UPS, the condition of its batteries, the load connected at the time of the failure, and so on. 

However, I would set the battery level to maybe 50%.  This setting specifies how much charge can remain in the batteries before a shut down is initiated. 

I would also set time out to maybe 60 seconds rather than 300 which should make it see the mains failure more quickly.

Depends on your UPS, the condition of its batteries, the load connected at the time of the failure, and so on. 

However, I would set the battery level to maybe 50%.  This setting specifies how much charge can remain in the batteries before a shut down is initiated. 

I would also set time out to maybe 60 seconds rather than 300 which should make it see the mains failure more quickly.

The UPS is a IBM rebrand of the APC SmartUPS 1500, it was installed march 2012, it shows a rumtime of 70 minutes when I am running a parity check. My server has 15 disks. Does the setting for Battery Level override the Minutes setting? What exactly does the timeout setting do? BTW, this was the first time the batteries were exhausted. The show full capacity now.

The UPS is a IBM rebrand of the APC SmartUPS 1500, it was installed march 2012, it shows a rumtime of 70 minutes when I am running a parity check. My server has 15 disks. Does the setting for Battery Level override the Minutes setting? What exactly does the timeout setting do? BTW, this was the first time the batteries were exhausted. The show full capacity now.

I'm guessing you have the wrong cable type configured.  That is, unless there is another PC/server on the LAN that actually has the UPS connected to it.

For any UPS connected directly to the unRAID server you would be using "smart" or "usb", or "serial" as cable type.

All of the settings work together.  The FIRST that is reached triggers a shutdown.  So, if you still have 90% of battery capacity, but have been on the UPS for 5 minutes, the server will be shut down since 300 seconds have been reached.  Or, if you had a much smaller UPS (or a larger load on it) and after 1 minute you only had 10% of battery capacity remaining, your server  would be shut down. Or if you had an estimated 10 "Minutes" runtime left, it would start a shut down of the server...  Whichever comes first starts the process.

If you are using another PC for the UPS and communicating via LAN for status as it looks like you are configured, the router or switch must be powered by the UPS, or all communication with the UPS is lost on a power outage and it will run till its batteries are exhausted.

You also have "kill ups" set to No.  With that setting, the UPS will not shut itself off, and it WILL exhaust its batteries.  That is typically NOT the setting you need unless the UPS is powering other devices needed after the server shuts down.

Joe L.

The UPS has a 9617 Network Management Card in it and is connected directly to my network. No serial or USB connection is used.

That explains it...  (most UPS are not that sophisticated)  You have a very nice UPS.

You should have the "Kill UPS" set to Yes unless it is powering other devices which must stay on after the unRAID server shuts down.  Is your router and/or switch powered by the UPS?  (it must be for the UPS to communicate with the server in a power outage.)

Do you have the "Clean Powerdown" add-on installed?  The stock powerdown command in unRAID will not stop the server if any disk is busy and unable to be un-mounted.

Joe L.

The UPS has a 9617 Network Management Card in it and is connected directly to my network. No serial or USB connection is used.

That explains it...  (most UPS are not that sophisticated)  You have a very nice UPS.

You should have the "Kill UPS" set to Yes unless it is powering other devices which must stay on after the unRAID server shuts down.  Is your router and/or switch powered by the UPS?  (it must be for the UPS to communicate with the server in a power outage.)

Do you have the "Clean Powerdown" add-on installed?  The stock powerdown command in unRAID will not stop the server if any disk is busy and unable to be un-mounted.

Joe L.

Nice UPS yes, and cheap, got it as an open box item at a local IT shop complete with the 9617 card built in and ready to go. It communicates nicely with apcupsd.

But even nicer would be to get it properly setup configured so that my server powers down clean in a power outage.

My syslog shows:

Jan 20 05:43:01 Tower1 logger: | Installing new package /boot/packages/apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz

Jan 20 05:43:02 Tower1 logger: | Installing new package /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

I guess those are the right packages for apcupsd and powerdown or not?and

If I set kill UPS to yes will the UPS be switched off?

When will that happen? After the server has been cleanly shut down?

Yes, Yes, the UPS shuts down after a delay sufficient for the server to finish shutting off. 

When power returns, and if you have the BIOS on your server set to power itself back up, the server will automatically start back up.

The command is sent to the UPS before the server shuts down (of course) but the UPS then waits a preset time before it switches off.  In some APC UPS units you can configure that delay, but generally it is long enough by default.

My concern is that the server is shut down clean, so there will be no parity check when the server starts. So the kill ups command should be sent short before the the server shuts down. The array should be offline then at least.

As Joe L describes it in his post above...

Yes, Yes, the UPS shuts down after a delay sufficient for the server to finish shutting off. 

My point was just to explain the sequence of events.  My server has gone through several shut downs in this way caused by mains power failures and due to the UPS behaviour it always restarts without needing a parity check.

Good to hear! The default shutdown delay for my UPS is 90 seconds but I can inrease it easily if necessary.

Usually it is not necessary as the command to shut down the UPS is one of the very last things done on the server before it turns its own power off.  It has already stopped the array and all other processes at that point.  (or at least that is how it is handled in the unMENU install... never looked at the plugin version, but since it is basically a "plg" version copied from my unRAID .conf file, it should be the same.)

Joe L.

Archived