sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1 seems to have a positive effect w write speed

From that discussion I gather that a proper solution would be a 64-bit kernel (still with 32-bit user if needed). I can't try that though, only Limetech would know how to mod their driver to compile in a 64-bit kernel. I seriously hope that this is the "fix" they are talking about. Anything short of that won't be a real fix.

Uhm, I've been running unraid on 64bit Slackware for nearly 2 years now. Its not that difficult, and I've even updated the wiki on the subject a couple of times. Most of the time I never even changed the drivers, they compiled as is and functioned fine. It was only when I was trying out different cutting edge kernels that I had to do mods to the drivers.

Of course its possible that there can be a lot more fine tuning done with the MD drivers if you only target 64bit.

From that discussion I gather that a proper solution would be a 64-bit kernel (still with 32-bit user if needed). I can't try that though, only Limetech would know how to mod their driver to compile in a 64-bit kernel. I seriously hope that this is the "fix" they are talking about. Anything short of that won't be a real fix.

Uhm, I've been running unraid on 64bit Slackware for nearly 2 years now. Its not that difficult, and I've even updated the wiki on the subject a couple of times. Most of the time I never even changed the drivers, they compiled as is and functioned fine. It was only when I was trying out different cutting edge kernels that I had to do mods to the drivers.

Of course its possible that there can be a lot more fine tuning done with the MD drivers if you only target 64bit.

That's promising news Brit!

@Barzija, Did you try with lowering memory to 8GB?  i.e. boot with the mem= parameter?

Any chance you can reduce your RAM to 4GB?  If so, this might fix the copy-timeouts.

Oh, yes, I know that that will do it.  It just pisses me off to have 16GB RAM wasted.

(I remember fondly the time when I paid $800 for a 16MB upgrade.)

I understand your frustration.  I felt similar with my 4x 8GB sticks, however fortunately my motherboard allows for ESXi (free) to virtualize unRAID as a VM and limit RAM to 4GB.  If you cannot run ESXi with your equipment, I'm hopeful that 5.0-rc13 will fix your problem.  I had the same copy-timeout type problem with large files....until I was able to find a way to mitigate the high amount of RAM issue (ESXi and an unRAID VM in my case).  Hopefully 5.0-rc13 is the silver bullet and fixes the copy-timeouts.

I started with Johnm's ESXi "how-to" here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.0

Also, BetaQuasi's post here is very helpful (ESXi 5.x - pre-built VMDK for unRAID):  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26639.0

In my ESXi box (32GB RAM) I'm currently running:  unRAID VM, pfSense VM, WIN7 VM and an Ubuntu VM.  I essentially knew nothing about ESXi until a few months ago...but so far it's been rock solid and it was fairly easy to ramp up to install/use...plus the unRAID community support is excellent!

I didn't get that much RAM just for nothing. I was planning to run some other things on top of unRaid. But now you get me thinking, ESXi should be a cleaner way to do that.

ESX is cleaner, unless what you are running is small very normal unix apps. I.E. ssh,bind,tftp,ftp, etc,etc.