bubbaRaid

I've figured out a way to distribute custom unRAID kernels and initramfs ... without the proprietary parts.  I call it BubbaRAID.  Because it does not contain the proprietary parts of unRAID, such as emhttp, it will ONLY work when installed along side a regular unRAID distro on the same flash.  It is a zip that you extract to the root of your regular unRAID flash, that gives you a multiboot syslinux config... boot stock unRAID or BubbaRAID.  BubbaRAID runs identically to the stock unRAID with additional packages and libraries installed (wget, PHP, perl, Apache, NZBGet, etc.) , and a few select kernel modules enabled, such as hardware monitoring and SYS V IPC.  Config files are all symlinked back to the flash so they are persistent.  It has a larger memory footprint now, and I am trying to reduce it by symlinking large libraries and such back to a supplementary location on the flash.

In any event, since it has a full slate of utilities like wget and perl, and a lot of libraries, it is easier to script a lot of things that could have an unMenu interface.

I'm quoting this here, so we can discuss the concept and future possibilities of this enhancement.

As far as bubba raid, it's a cool concept, however, I've always felt it better to start with the base slackware packages, then write install scripts that install the package, setup the conf files or links, then fire up the application.

For example, my mail/exim unraid Slackware packages do just that.

It makes it a lil harder, but in effect, a lil cleaner and allows users to pick and choose layered product.

If unRAID grows with a unioning methodology, then the whole static config issue could be solved.

Either that or some form of sweeping ftw linking logic.

That's fine, except you can't change the kernel that way.

And there is nothing preventing a scripted package manager working on top of BubbaRaid.  For someone that wants to do scripted packages, BubbaRaid can be considered just a platform 1) with more versatile kernel and 2) that has wget and several other useful packages built in.