unRAID Server release 4.4-beta1 available

limetech

Everything seems to be working again so far. I lost some data, but most of it is replaceable. Mostly I have lost a lot of time. I have set the spin down timer to never for now. I have replaced the original drive that came up red (though it is green now) and unraid is currently rebuilding. I don't know if it makes any different, but I think the drives that had slow spinups are all in a Chieftec 4 in 3 backplan.

Is the replacement drive cleared first before rebuilding, or not?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, though I think Tom could have assisted more. He did find the bugs, which is good for everyone, but gave no assistance or advice to me.

Roland

If you just replaced one drive with a different one, and then press "Start", the new drive is not cleared first as its contents will be entirely rebuilt.

If you are initially adding a drive to an array, to a slot previously un-occupied, it is cleared first.

Joe L.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything seems to be working again so far. I lost some data, but most of it is replaceable. Mostly I have lost a lot of time. I have set the spin down timer to never for now. I have replaced the original drive that came up red (though it is green now) and unraid is currently rebuilding. I don't know if it makes any different, but I think the drives that had slow spinups are all in a Chieftec 4 in 3 backplan.

Is the replacement drive cleared first before rebuilding, or not?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, though I think Tom could have assisted more. He did find the bugs, which is good for everyone, but gave no assistance or advice to me.

In general I tend to hold off until the smoke clears on new betas.  A number of users here have test unRAID servers that they use to test new versions and betas.  I like to wait about a week for a bunch of users to say it is working well before jumping on board (longer if there are no particular features that I am really need).

Sorry you had trouble.