need advice on creating disk images of laptop drives

korith

I have 3 laptops I'd like to create images of their disks and save onto my 4tb, so if the drive dies, I can restore the image onto a new drive and plug it in. Think in the past I've used acronis to just clone disks onto spare disks. Just wondering what over software is out there that works well.

I have 3 laptops I'd like to create images of their disks and save onto my 4tb, so if the drive dies, I can restore the image onto a new drive and plug it in. Think in the past I've used acronis to just clone disks onto spare disks. Just wondering what over software is out there that works well.

I'd use acronis.  It allows you to store a  disk image to a file on a networked share and also to restore from that same image to bare metal.

I've personally used it to backup my laptop drive, and then restore from the backup to a larger replacement drive when upgrading two of my laptops.  Works perfectly.

Joe L.

I'd use acronis.  It allows you to store a  disk image to a file on a networked share and also to restore from that same image to bare metal.

I've personally used it to backup my laptop drive, and then restore from the backup to a larger replacement drive when upgrading two of my laptops.  Works perfectly.

Joe L.

+1 for Acronis.  That being said, I find that versions prior to 2012 work best.  2012 and 2013 have some issues.

Thanks, always good to check and see if something better was out there. Upgraded laptop drive with it before, worked perfectly. Looked around and found the copy of acronis I had used was a limited version seagate/wd drives ship out with. Looked on a few deal sites and it looks like acronis true image seems to go on sale a fair bit, should be able to pick it up soon.

Have always made backups, but just trying to find a better efficient way of doing things. Trying hard to get serious about organizing all the data and backups, else just causes too many issues when something goes wrong.

Archived