How can I copy 15 TB from some "old" 2 TB Disks to my new Array

Hi,

I have upgraded my Unraid Server and make a complete new Array with new Disks.

Now I want to copy the Files from the old Disks (ReiserFS - 15 TB) to the new Server.

What is the fastest way? Over a windows computer the copy will take many weeks.

Can I plug the old disks in the USB Port (maybe with SNAP?) of the new Unraid-Server and make a complete disk copy to the Array without using a second windows PC?

Thanks.

By whichever way you choose to connect your old drives to the new server, you can mount those drives on the command line without assigning them to the unRAID array, and then transfer the files from there as well (for example with Midnight Commander).

If you have hot-swap trays in your new server, the best option would probably be to insert the old drives that way one after the other. Connecting via USB (external enclosure or docking station) is also an option, but keep in mind that only USB 3.0 will give you very high transfer speeds. USB 2.0 would still be faster than a slow network, but should get outperformed by a Gigabit Ethernet network.

So, there are multiple ways, but it depends on what your hardware and infrastructure looks like.

Is it possible to mount ntfs formatted hard drives into unRAID and copy in a similar fashion?

unRAID has built-in support for NTFS format disks of 2TB or less.  If you want to be able use larger disks or write to NTFS format disks then you need to get the ntfs-3g plugin (although it may be a good idea to get that anyway).

Is it possible to mount ntfs formatted hard drives into unRAID and copy in a similar fashion?

unRAID has built-in support for NTFS format disks of 2TB or less.  If you want to be able use larger disks or write to NTFS format disks then you need to get the ntfs-3g plugin (although it may be a good idea to get that anyway).

unRAID has built-in READ-ONLY support for NTFS format disks of 2TB or less.  You will want to get the ntfs-3g add-on.

all disks are ReiserFS, i will test it tomorrow.

Maybe someone know the command line to mount a disk?

Have you tried installing unMenu?  There's a tab called "Disk Management" where you can mount or even share disks that are not in the array.  Point-and-click interface.

Sigh, I wish someone had told me this before I wasted so much time trying to get SNAP to work...

Archived