What to buy? Hitachi 5K4000 or 7K4000

I have only used Hitachis in my unRAID builds. The ones that passed a 3 cycle preclear have been solid for me for years. Others on here have had the same experience. Unfortunately, there's no telling how much longer that will hold true now that WD has gained control of the company.

As far as the 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm goes, for my NAS systems I always go with the 5400 rpm drives. When dealing with a large quantity of drives, the additional savings in power and heat are multiplied substantially, and since unRAID has relatively low write speeds anyway, there is no perceptible loss in speed vs the 7200 rpm drive. For streaming, 5400 is fast enough to push 2 uncompressed Blu-rays simultaneously.

I have only used Hitachis in my unRAID builds. The ones that passed a 3 cycle preclear have been solid for me for years. Others on here have had the same experience. Unfortunately, there's no telling how much longer that will hold true now that WD has gained control of the company.

IMHO the 3.5" business has been forwarded to Toshiba...WD only kept Hitachi IP for the smaller formfactors.

When I buy a 3TB Toshiba disk here, it still has a Hitachi sticker/label alongside the Toshiba brand label.