ShellInABox Firefox and the dash/underscore key

Just wanted to report on an issue with the neat alternative to putty called shellinabox, letting you have access to the command line via a browser window.  Shellinabox was installed via unmenu and accessed via tower:4500

In Firefox, the - and the _ key (beside the zero key on the top row) do not work.  In Chrome, this works fine.  I was surprised that even the control-c key works fine.  Not sure what is going on with the dash key, but it seems to be consistent on several computers here.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an oldish thread but was looking at shellinabox and thought I'd do a search on the UnRAID forum for any other chatter about it.  This looks to be the last thread relating to it and I hit the same issue of some keys not working. 

In case anyone is interested, I've applied a patch to the source and compiled a fresh package.  It seems to work for me.  Thought I'd share here in case anyone else came looking for the same thing.

Link to version that works with FF here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

wgstarks can't you just navigate to the folder where it's installed on your USB and delete it. 

Have a poke around your USB stick and I'm sure you'll find it.

Sure. Just wasn't sure that was the best way. I'm never sure what else the plugin may have installed.

This is old :) There's a better alternative with shellinabox that I compiled myself. It's part of the Commands line tools plugin. It also includes a nice command line screenshot with unRAID array info and can back up your /root and restore it on reboot. All my plugins will remove everything except the plugin config folder.

This is old :) There's a better alternative with shellinabox that I compiled myself. It's part of the Commands line tools plugin. It also includes a nice command line screenshot with unRAID array info and can back up your /root and restore it on reboot. All my plugins will remove everything except the plugin config folder.

Right. Somehow I never deleted this one when I installed Command Line.

I see. This one might have upgraded the shellinabox from my version if you have restarted depending on start up install order. I would just delete the shellinabox plg file and plugin folder. But I think unmenu puts auto install stuff in /boot/packages. I only put packages in the plugin folder anymore or use Nerdpack location if the dependency is part if Nerdpack. After you clean all shellinabox plg and unnenu items I would uninstall my cmdline.plg and reinstall. Then you should be good.

I see. This one might have upgraded the shellinabox from my version if you have restarted depending on start up install order. I would just delete the shellinabox plg file and plugin folder. But I think unmenu puts auto install stuff in /boot/packages. I only put packages in the plugin folder anymore or use Nerdpack location if the dependency is part if Nerdpack. After you clean all shellinabox plg and unnenu items I would uninstall my cmdline.plg and reinstall. Then you should be good.

The path is /boot/config/plugins/shellinabox-plugin.plg. Not sure who's version that is, but I'll go ahead and delete it and the remove/re-install Command Line. Should I do a reboot after deleting shellinabox?

I don't think you need to reboot. If you uninstall and reinstall cmdline.plg that should upgrade and overwrite any shellinabox package.  You just have to make sure you remove the shellinabox-plugin.plg (which was mine I believe till I changed the name) and any unmenu shellinabox files. Otherwise when you do reboot they may get installed. Also if  shellinabox-plugin.plg  is installed I'd remove it from the plugins menu.  You could also remove all of them then reboot and make sure they are gone then install cmdline.