Is it safe to turn my machine off? [SOLVED]

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to unRAID, so I apologize for the potentially noob-type issue.  I searched the forum, but I didn't see anything related to my problem; if I missed something, I apologize.  Here's the sitch:

I followed the user guide to set everything up and it was working very well; I precleared my drives and was getting ready to start moving files into the array.  For the initial set-up, I had to put a video card in to connect to a monitor (the MB only has S-video out and I have no adapters).  Since everything was running well, I shut down the array and the machine through the web interface, removed the video card and powered it back on, but now I can't connect to it. 

I looked the IP address up through the router and tried pinging it, but "the destination host is unreachable."  I tried a telnet session, too, just in case that would do anything to no avail. 

I can definitely put the video card back in to troubleshoot further, but I don't know if it's safe to power it down manually, as I don't want to damage the drives that are in there.

Any thoughts are most appreciated - thanks! 

MB only has S-video out? That sounds like it isn't a video-connection at all, but a PS/2 keyboard-connection.

So, it sounds like an older motherboard that doesn't work without a video-card, which means you should definatly try to run it with one.

Because you didn't supply any specifications of your computer, it is difficult to say, but seeing as how it probably hasn't even booted, it would be safe to turn off as it is.

Thanks for replying!  Ha - you're right about the keyboard connection; guess I should've checked the specs.  This is the MB:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5N32E_SLI/#specifications

It's older hardware that was given to me and it included a GeForce 8800 gts, which seemed like way too much for this.  I didn't want to have to buy another video card with lower specs, yada yada yada. 

However, do I need to run the unRAID box with a video card?  Or would the video card only be used for troubleshooting purposes?  Do you think there's any chance the hard drives could get gooned by a hard stop?

You have two LAN ports on that board.  Try the other one.  (unRAID will only initialize one LAN port!)

Tried that earlier, but I just switched it again to double check - no go.  Does that mean that it will only work with the LAN port with which it was configured? 

Thanks for replying!

There's a good chance it didn't even boot properly without a video card - in which case you should be safe to power it off. Did it make any diagnostic beeps when you started it up?

Edit: According to Google, that board should give you:

1long, 2 short --- Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

There's a good chance it didn't even boot properly without a video card - in which case you should be safe to power it off. Did it make any diagnostic beeps when you started it up?

Edit: According to Google, that board should give you:

1long, 2 short --- Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

I didn't hear any, so I thought that the error was with the boot or the software or something.  I'll give the powering off a shot, reinstall the video card and connect it to a monitor to troubleshoot.  I just did a few quick searches, and didn't see anything, but does that mean the box won't run at all without a video card?  I was hoping to keep it as barebones as possible. 

I'll report back shortly after I reinstall everything - thanks!

Being that the motherboard was an enthusiast-grade SLI board, I daresay you have no option but to ensure a video card is in place.  It would be very unlikely for a board of that type to have an option to run without video.

Pick up a dirt cheap GT220 or something similar.. they're only $29 here.

Sorry for the late reply, but I let it sit overnight with the CMOS battery out to try to reset the BIOS.  You were right, Frank - it wouldn't boot without the keyboard.  I didn't even know that was a setting, let alone one that could cause some problems.  I got it to boot up after the keyboard was attached and changed the setting to boot if any error was detected (no keyboard, etc.).  Unfortunately, now it's not booting (even with a keyboard and video card attached) and I can't get into the BIOS. 

If I can get it to boot again, I'll look into the GT220 - thanks BetaQuasi!

Since this is a separate issue, should I mark this thread as "Solved"? 

Thanks for your help everyone!

Archived