[solved]Noob unRAID initial install question

So I finally have all the parts to build my first unRAID server.  I have read quite a bit about the install process and the hardware requirements.  Here is my current situation:

I have three drives, all of which are in external enclosures (I plan to remove them and use them in my server).

1 drive is a new 3TB

1 drive is a currently in use 2TB drive

1 drive is a currently in use 1TB drive.

I need to keep the data on my 2TB drive to transfer to the unRAID server so my plan is to copy all that data to the new 3TB drive, remove the 2TB drive and 1 TB drives from their enclosures and install them into the server.  I will preclear those drives, assign them as data drives, then copy all the data that is now on the 3TB drive to the server.  After that is done I will remove the 3TB drive from its enclosure and install it into the server, preclear it, and assign it as the parity drive.

I know this is a convoluted way to get my server up and running, but I am trying to use the drives I currently have on hand.  Does this sound like a workable plan?

I need to keep the data on my 2TB drive to transfer to the unRAID server so my plan is to copy all that data to the new 3TB drive, remove the 2TB drive and 1 TB drives from their enclosures and install them into the server.  I will preclear those drives, assign them as data drives, then copy all the data that is now on the 3TB drive to the server.  After that is done I will remove the 3TB drive from its enclosure and install it into the server, preclear it, and assign it as the parity drive.
It sounds like you may not have backups of that data, in which case I would use a copy method that will verify after copy, and also I would suggest doing some confidence testing on the 3TB before you commit data to it. Preclear is a good drive tester, but it is destructive to data, so I'd recommend preclearing the 3TB drive first, and install it in the server as a data drive, so you know it works well and holds data. Copy the data onto the server from the 2 and 1TB, doing a data verification while you still have 2 copies. Then you can install the 2 and 1 into the server, preclear them for confidence testing, and copy the data back from the 3TB using MC. Once again, I'd test to make sure all the data made the move ok, only then would I set a new config with the 3TB unassigned, make sure your data is still good on the 2 and 1, then add the 3 as your new parity drive and calculate parity.

If I were you, I'd think long and hard about possibly obtaining a second 3TB drive, that way you always have backups of your data, and when you are done you will actually have 3TB of breathing room left on the array. Filling up disks more than about 80% can lead to slow writes, as each file creation takes more time to allocate, and the disks are running in their slowest zones.

How important is your data to you? How much time and heartache is it worth compared to the price of another drive, which you may need fairly soon anyway?

Your original method is sound, and as long as the hardware all cooperates, you should be fine. It's just a little risky if something goes wrong, and you are working with the only copy of important data. You really need a backup (2nd independent copy physically separated from the first) of any data you don't want to lose.

I'll echo what Jonathan just wrote.    UnRAID (or any other RAID) is NOT a backup ... if you don't have backups of your data, you should start considering just how you'll resolve that.

As for what you want to do now -- I agree the best solution would be to simply buy a 2nd 3TB drive;  pre-clear both 3TB units;  initialize your array with one 3TB as parity and one as data;  then copy all of the data from your 2TB and 1TB drives to the array;  and, finally, pre-clear the 2TB and 1TB drives and add them to the array.

If you're trying to do this without buying an UnRAID license (which would preclude adding both of the smaller drives to your system), just buy a 3rd 3TB drive and create your array with 3 3TB drives -- this would give you some "breathing room" for a while AND would let you use the 2TB and 1TB drives as backups for your data.

That is really good advice.  I will setup my new unRAID server with the new 3tb drive, preclear it and then start looking for a deal on another 3tb drive.  I will wait to copy my data over and use the time to get familiar with unRAID and install any addons I think I will need.

Thanks for the help!

Archived