unRAID no longer tech friendly

icedragonslair

Actually I have installed plex and serviio, as well as trying to get minidlna to run on 5.11.

I have gotten Plex to work but not to draw anything but one stream from the server, because anything more than one stream and everything becomes so sluggish it is unwatchable. (And trust me, my wife hated it). Even though plex ran okay, it still ran with errors to the point of not allowing a parity check to complete (documented in these forums), which kind of defeats the purpose of unRAID. Honestly I wish this had been able to work out, since my wife is in love with her apple tv2 ?

Serviio worked so-so from the start, but ended up more of a mess and much slower than Plex.

MiniDLNA just doesn't work like it should at all, as it can drop/stop at any time.

And in unRAID's favor I even tried flexraid and it is far behind unRAID...lol, even though it runs on windows so it is automatically dlna compatible.

All of the solutions are horrible in comparison to XBMC (frodo) or even MB2 (win natve), for an htpc. I do however have high hopes for XBMC v13 and MB3 as far as servers are concerned, or maybe even building a small form factor netop to serve everything separately, but I can bet I would have to listen to my wife and kids bit***ng constantly so it would become a full time job just to keep them happy...lol.

@ Automatic, I love the gui and capabilities of plex, but way too sluggish if more than one room is watching anything off the server, it is seriously a hog...lol.

And finally @speeding_ant, yes I did troll and have tried just about everything mentioned in here, I am just hoping this would become a matured server system and that it would actually evolve into a whole home entertainment server solution. Guess I'll have to wait, as I said.

Thanks for all of your responses & suggestions,

Ice

your post is the most not "tech friendly" post ever. in fact, i dont even understand what the hell are you trying to say. was that a question? what are you complaining? did you know unraid is a file server and nothing more? you have transcoding problem and suddenly unraid is the cause? what?

OP:  ...my wife is in love with her apple tv2...

OP:  ...my wife loves the GUI for XBMC...

If your wife loves XMBC and us primarily using an Apple TV 2 (black 720p model), then why don't you install XBMC on that device and make everyone happy?  That's how I got started with unRAID - I started with XBMC on an AppleTV 2, and everyone was so pleased with it I needed a better NAS solution to drive our new little "video jukebox."

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_2

If you find the free install too complex, you might want to pay $30 for the Firecore aTV Flash product, which is derived from XMBC and supposedly easier to install.  I've not used this product, but it appears to be a good choice for a number of people.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

Archived