Clearing new drives in RC12a

I don't have an 8gb drive :( (your luckly)

I'll bet it cost more that a 4TB drive today when it was new  :'( :'(

No joke!!! I have a few 160GB drives lying around that I looked up what I paid for them not to long ago and I was utterly speechless that I paid that much for each of them (and was happy back then, LOL).

I don't have an 8gb drive :( (your luckly)

I'll bet it cost more that a 4TB drive today when it was new  :'( :'(

No joke!!! I have a few 160GB drives lying around that I looked up what I paid for them not to long ago and I was utterly speechless that I paid that much for each of them (and was happy back then, LOL).

Drives today are basically FREE  8)

... it's all a matter of perspective.    The first hard drive I bought was a 26MB Seagate (the "M" is NOT a typo) ... a 14" drive that in addition to the large case it was in included an S-100 controller card that had to be mounted in the computer with a large ribbon cable to the drive.    I was able to get a 10% discount on the drive ... so it "only" cost $4500  :)

... so it "only" cost $4500  :)

And I'll bet you could purchase a very nice new mid-sized car for less back then. 

(so you are talking an equivalent of 15-20k today)

Yes, cars were cheaper too ... I bought a new Audi at about the same time as that hard drive (1980) and while I don't recall exactly what I paid for the car, it was in the neighborhood of 12-14k (for a car that would be ~ $60k today).    You're right -- that $4500 is probably $20k in today's dollars.  Scary !!

I remember a 1GB IDE Micropolis for $1000 and 1GB SCSI Micropolis for $1500 as my most expensive drives in early/mid 90s both full height 3.5" drives so twice the height of todays half height drives.  Still have the SCSI in a box somewhere.  Might even have the first drive I ever received (40MB) on the first system I ever got.  It was full height 3.5" as well.  But nothing before that unless you count Commodore stuff still have quite a bit of that packed away.

Archived