Problem upgrading parity to 3TB after installing 5rc12a

Upgrade went smoothly, then I started a parity rebuild with a 3TB drive before I went to bed.  When I woke up the machine was hung up.  Can I just reboot and try again or will that munge something up?

Explain better.  The phrases "Upgrade went smoothly" and "machine hung" contradict each other.

If the machine is not responding, about all you can do is reboot.

Sorry Joe.  The upgrade from 4.7 to 5rc12a went smoothly.  Everything was running smoothly for a few hours.  I then attempted to upgrade my parity drive from 2TB to 3TB, the main reason to switch to 5x.  During this operation the machine hung.  After I reboot, I assume a parity rebuild will start again, is that OK or do I need to be doing something special.

Thanks.

Sorry Joe.  The upgrade from 4.7 to 5rc12a went smoothly.  Everything was running smoothly for a few hours.  I then attempted to upgrade my parity drive from 2TB to 3TB, the main reason to switch to 5x.  During this operation the machine hung.  After I reboot, I assume a parity rebuild will start again, is that OK or do I need to be doing something special.

Thanks.

Yes, when you restart the parity calc will start once more.

Did you perform a parity check prior to the upgrade process?  I'm guessing you did not.

(To be sure the array was performing normally with the existing hardware/software)

Fortunately the monitor showed me this (attached jpg) even though the keyboard was unresponsive.

That is showing a disk that has stopped responding.  (can't tell which once from the screen-shot)

Could be as simple as a loose/bad cable to the new drive, or you might have loosened a different cable to a different drive when installing the parity drive.

Or, the new disk might have died an early death.  Do not be surprised when you reboot to find a disk disabled/missing.

Joe L.

Day before I upgraded to 5rc12 I successfully ran a parity check.  I also had 2 precleared 3TB drives ready to go (3cycles), so I think the new drives _should_ be ok.  Will reboot and try again when I get home.

The screenie is the only forensic evidence I have unless rc12 keeps old syslogs knocking around after a reboot.

Day before I upgraded to 5rc12 I successfully ran a parity check.  I also had 2 precleared 3TB drives ready to go (3cycles), so I think the new drives _should_ be ok.  Will reboot and try again when I get home.

The screenie is the only forensic evidence I have unless rc12 keeps old syslogs knocking around after a reboot.

Well, it sure sounds as if you had performed the steps you could prior to the upgrade. 

Most likely then is a cable that has come loose on one of the drives.

Joe L.

I tell you what i did, i don't know if correct and even if it will work for me, since rebuilding is still performing

I replaced a 2 tb disk (#12) with a 3 tb one onto Unraid 5.0 0.4 (unfortunatly i didn't made a backup of the pendrive before doing it but at least i took a SS with configuration) at 66% system become very very slow, responding at command after one hour or so

I shut down system by telnet and poweroff

As system restarted, a new rebuilding started, but after few minutes system hunged again, i saw from webgui and systemlog that disk #5 was having many read errors....asked advice on forum...

I replaced disk #5 sata cable and made a SMART report of disk 5, from which we saw that disk 5 was failing badly...i tried trusted my parity procedure as suggested but systems hungs

So that i took my second licensed pendrive, installed version 5.0 rc12a, PUT IN MY OLD 2 TB DISK #12, started a new configuration manually assigning disks, i DIDN'T perform parity check (system hungs), replaced failing disk #5 and now i am waiting if rebuilding of disk 5 is successful....

Two thoughts:

(a) You do NOT want to do what Guido did !  Look at his thread and you'll see why  :)

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27320.0

(b)  It sounds like you did everything fine ... I agree with Joe L that you've most likely just had a cable come loose.  Reseat (unplug/re-plug) both the power and data cables for your drives (especially the new parity drive and any others you may have moved around in the process).

... or if the drives are in a hot-swap cage, remove and reseat them

Thanks all.  I left it off all day as I read responses, then booted it up when I got home from work which kicked off another parity rebuild.  Log following the parity rebuild start is here:

http://pastebin.ca/2376729

It looks like Murphy has struck and disk6 (WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0) is failing (8 weeks out of warranty).  I tripled checked the cables on all of the drives and they are good.  A Smart check shows this on disk6/sdb:

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      44

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      14

So disk 6 definitely appears to be the issue.  My big question is whether I should bother trying to get parity rebuilt with it?  My crappy alternative is to buy another 2TB drive ( :( ), swap disk 6 out, and then upgrade to the 3TB drives I have.  Ideally parity would rebuild on my new 3TB drive on one attempt and then I could just swap the 2TB disk6 with another already precleared 3TB drive.  Or can the errors on drive 6 and the missing parity drive cause a "bad" rebuild?  It's still chugging along despite the errors so I'm thinking it could finish if the planets align (trying to be a glass is half full guy).  Also the fact that it somehow finished a parity check yesterday on 4.7, tells me it can occasionally cross the finish line. :)

Thoughts?

Well ... it all depends  :)

(a)  If you can read the data on disk 6, you could back it all up;  then after you've reconfigured your system (with 3TB drives), copy it back.

(b)  You could simply buy a new 2TB drive (2TB WD Reds are currently < $100) and rebuild it.

(the SetMax command is what you need to use)

©  You could use HDat2 to make one of your 3TB drives a 2TB drive  :)

... then rebuild with it;  then copy all the data off that drive;  then shut down; remove the drive; use HDat2 to reset it to 3TB; and replace it with that => it would then "replace" the 2TB drive  :)

http://www.hdat2.com/

Second parity rebuild was successful.  Immediately replaced disk6 with my second 3TB drive and started a rebuild .  Came home to find this kernel panic.  Sounds like something to do with my SATA card.  Is rc12a not compatible with the AOC-SASLP-MV8?  Will try rebuilding again.

Thanks

IMG_0939.JPG.558ca9bbfc36d9625d91c13dafa5ff6e.JPG