Seagate 4TB $150 (Newegg)

I currently have 8TB free out of 19TB useable storage space across 8 disks, but have capacity for 16 disks, so just ordered 4 of these  ;D Man I am loving these prices, newegg offers it this low right after tigerdirect does, plus tigerdirect had the 3TB for $99 shipped... I suppose the supply & demand prices the flood shortage caused are a thing of the past (even though seagate was the least affected).

... not sure I'd add 16TB of storage to an array that already has 8TB free !!  :)

I used to buy almost anything that was priced at what "felt" like a really good deal -- like these do.  But I'd often end up with a few "formerly high capacity drives" that, when I needed them, just didn't seem like such high capacity anymore.

e.g. I just used my last 2TB drive a few weeks ago ... and clearly would have bought a 4GB instead if I didn't already have it.

With 5TB WD Reds expected by the end of this year, I won't be adding any "bargain" 3TB or 4GB units to my "spares" inventory anytime soon.

... on the other hand => 8TB free plus your new 16TB = 24TB of free space.  Odds seem pretty good that you won't NEED any more storage for a pretty long time ... so the incremental bump you'd get from 5TB units is probably irrelevant.    And by the time you NEED more space, you'll probably be buying 8TB drives  8)

... not sure I'd add 16TB of storage to an array that already has 8TB free !!  :)

I used to buy almost anything that was priced at what "felt" like a really good deal -- like these do.  But I'd often end up with a few "formerly high capacity drives" that, when I needed them, just didn't seem like such high capacity anymore.

e.g. I just used my last 2TB drive a few weeks ago ... and clearly would have bought a 4GB instead if I didn't already have it.

I agree.  I pretty subscribe to the buy as needed way of thinking.  It helps assure I get the best GB/$ deals and I don't have money tied up in drives I won't use for months.  But hey, to each their own!  Congrats on the deal HatcetMan.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up two, promo code works...this deal and the final 5 (Unraid Pro) release coming up makes my new 24bay quad core from TAM start off on the right foot! I should be able to get up to around 24TB on my initial build.

It will finally be nice to migrate everything off of my 5 Sony vgp-xl1b's (all working if anyone might be interested). Anyone know if it is possible to use these changers with an unraid server (that would be really killer to be able to index them on the unraid server). Right now I have to run my Changer server on XP to be able to use the WunkoNas Server soft to index them and server via SMB.

Just picked up two, promo code works...this deal and the final 5 (Unraid Pro) release coming up makes my new 24bay quad core from TAM start off on the right foot! I should be able to get up to around 24TB on my initial build.

It will finally be nice to migrate everything off of my 5 Sony vgp-xl1b's (all working if anyone might be interested). Anyone know if it is possible to use these changers with an unraid server (that would be really killer to be able to index them on the unraid server). Right now I have to run my Changer server on XP to be able to use the WunkoNas Server soft to index them and server via SMB.

While I can't imagine you'd want to keep using the changers after you get everything ripped to an UnRAID server, if you DO want to do that, DVD Profiler with the LoadDVD plugin can control the changers very nicely ... you can set it up so a single click on the movie you want to watch will automatically send the appropriate command to the correct changer and play the disc.

However, with UnRAID you can do the same thing ... and multiple folks on multiple clients can be playing the same movie, a different movie, or whatever.  FAR more flexible.  I suspect the market for used changers is rather depressed these days.    I have a 300 disc Pioneer changer on a shelf that I suspect I'll just toss one of these days -- or possibly see if I can get a few bucks on e-bay.  But I've watched some of the e-bay listings, and most expire with no bids, even with starting bids in the $50 range, so it's probably not even worth the bother.