UK: HP N54L Microserver £85.94 @ ServersPlus (after rebate and code)

neilt0

This is a ridiculously good deal for UK'ers. I already have an N36L, but this is a major speed bump at about 70% faster.

I'm replacing all my old drives with 4TB and will retire my hulking old 22-drive server for 2x 6-drive Microservers fulll of 4TBs.

Here's how you get it for the price:

1. Buy the N54L BEFORE JUNE 30: http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/704941-421

2. At the checkout, use the code MSFREENDUK to get free delivery.

3. Fill out the claim form:

http://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback

http://www.serversplus.com/pdfs/ms100_june13.pdf

N.B. You should be able to email the form rather than post it, and I've found the promotions company to be quick to confirm receipt. The rebate was very easy to do.

Viola!

Thinking of getting one,

I take it once i get one i put serial number on form, scan and email it to [email protected]

Attach proof of purchase (reseller invoice(s)) to the claim form,

with qualifying products and HP part codes circled, keeping

copies for your records

I take it for this part they will email me an invoice when i complete check out.

EDIT: Took the plunge and grabbed one :)

Last time I got one, I scanned the physical invoice after it arrived, and the form and emailed it to Outbound.

Cool so an invoice comes with the server excellent.

I only ask as i have had issues in past claiming cask-back for items because they want an invoice not a sales order or an email etc etc.

Server turned up yesterday, no damage that i could see everything seemed fine, the things tiny lol, serverplus even sent the invoice before i received the thing.

I emailed the invoice and the claim form to [email protected] late last night so hoping to hear from them today, or at least an acknowledgement, i did ask if a hard copy was need to be sent to the address listed. 

I did debate using the supplied 250GB drive as a cache drive in my main server, its got an older 500gb drive in it.

Now all i need to figure out is what I'm going to do with the thing it.

I got mine today too! They are great little boxes indeed. That 250GB drive is quite fast, so you should try it as a cache drive.

I emailed the forms to out-bound and got a reply back confirming receipt 22 minutes later.

I knew it would be quick to swap out the components from my N36L to the N54L, but I timed it anyhoo:

12:20pm -- GO!

* Put serial number in to rebate form and email to out-bound

* Attach N54L to monitor and keyboard, boot to make sure it's working

* Reboot with "TheBay"'s SATA upgrade BIOS USB flash drive inserted, to upgrade BIOS: http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-n40l-n54l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

* Turn off SATA 5/6 IDE emulation in BIOS

* Shutdown N54L and N36L

* Pull 8GB RAM and all all hard drives from the N36L

* Pull out motherboard from N36L and use an air duster blow dust bunnies from the mobo and chassis (it had been a year, there were a lot!)

* Remove PCI board blanks, unplug all cables and pull out motherboard from N54L

* Install 8GB RAM from N36L in to N54L. Install 2GB and 1GB ECC RAM DIMMs in to N36L. The N36L will be a Movie Archive box only and not run any apps. 3GB is more than enough RAM for a "stock" unRAID server

* N54L: Connect SATA cable from motherboard and run up in to optical drive area. Pull eSATA to SATA cable up in to the same area. * Connect Molex power to 2x SATA power cables

* Install the 6 drives from the N36L in to the N54L

* Plug in the LAN cable, unRAID USB flash drive and power cable

* Boot!

1:19pm -- DONE!

The great thing about unRAID is that it doesn't care what motherboard you are running. It booted straight away as if nothing had happened. I didn't even need to change the drive slot assignments.

ETA: Doing some benchmarks, it's faster, but not 70% faster for certain ops, but I'm doing a parity check and it's starting at 120,186KB/sec which is faster than the N36L.

Ok i take it the BIOS is current with the official as i read something about 3TB support and S3 Sleep

It has always supported 3TB/4TB and higher drives. The hardware doesn't support S3 sleep. If you find a BIOS that does support this, please post a link.

It's being closed out, hence the low price and lack of restocking.

As an update, for those who have ordered, my rebate was approved in 3 working days and they are quoting another 45 days for the cheque to arrive.

Mine was approved in same time also :) now for the 45 day wait

I take it "TheBay's" BIOS Is needed then?

If you want to run SATA ports 5 and 6 at full SATA speed and not hobbled by IDE emulation.

Also to use a port multiplier enclosure with the eSata port. I installed "The Bay" BIOS and was able to separately connect a 4 Bay MediaSonic enclosure and a 4 Bay Sans Digital enclosure to the eSATA port. And unRAID could see the four drives in each of the external enclosures. Prior to the BIOS change I could only see a drive when I used a single drive enclosure connected to the eSATA port.

• 2 months later...

It's back! Probably for the last time. I'd act quickly if you want one!

£92 after cashback: http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp?PID=768

Cashback form: http://h41225.www4.hp.com/UK_focus/PA0074%20-%20HP%20Microserver%20%C2%A3100%20Cashback%20September%202013%20v3.pdf?jumpid=re_r10104_uk/en/ent/tsg/promoindex-ot-xx-pu-golden_offers_smb/chev-hp_microse_17923/

(1st Sep - 30th Sep)

You can also get a 3 year, on-site warranty for £20, which is also comically cheap.

• 4 months later...