CyberPower 1500VA UPS $130

flips

This usually sells for close to $160, this isn't the all time low, but it is within a few bucks of the all time low.  I was using an APC supply that just stopped working and I am in the market for one now...  I need to play with it to see if it is a battery issue first, but it doesn't seem like it.  Anyone use this with unraid?  I like the APC plugin, but is there something similar that works with CyberPower?

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS 1500VA 900W AVR Mini-Tower

I would avoid the linked CP1500AVRLCD and any other AVRLCD UPS.  These are not designed for use with Active PFC power supplies and may cause issues.  Cyberpower recommends the PFCLCD series for use with this type of PSU.  I'm not sure if this is marketing BS or what but I would be wary.

Taken from here: http://promotions.newegg.com/Cyberpower/11-3370/index.html?cm_sp=BrandStore_CyberPower-_-Cyberpower/11-3370-_-http%3A%2F%2Fpromotions.newegg.com%2FCyberpower%2F11-3370%2F234x124.jpg

Is pure sine wave absolutely necessary?

Fact

Protecting equipment that uses an Active PFC power supply with a non-sine wave UPS can cause data loss, hard shutdowns or a catastrophic failure!

Why does this happen?

Over the last 10 years, power supply unit (PSU) manufacturers have transitioned to focusing on efficiency issues by increasing Power Factor in addition to reliability, quality and capacity. Problems can occur when using simulated sine wave UPS systems with more sensitive devices and electronic equipment. When on battery power, higher-end workstations and computer systems that incorporate Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) power supplies may unexpectedly shut down or crash entirely when used with a simulated sine wave UPS.

Critical Factor

Simulated sine wave output wave form produces a zero-output state during the phase change cycle resulting in a power "gap." This gap may cause power interruption for equipment with Active PFC power supplies when switching from AC power output to simulated sine wave output (battery mode).

Correct, modern high efficiency PSU with active PFC can have issues with square or sine approximation UPS during switchover to battery.  Can result in instant power-down of the PSU.  If you have a newer 80+ type supply it is best to stick with a true sine output UPS to avoid PSU dropouts on battery transfer.

I  thought it was more about whether the UPS type is Online or Line Interactive.  Either way I have two non-sine wave Line Interactive UPS's powering two different PFC power supplies and neither computer have ever experienced any problems.  I looked into the ones we have at work and they are the same and we've never had a problem.  They all switch to battery without issue.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter in some situations, but it's obviously not a hard rule.

I  thought it was more about whether the UPS type is Online or Line Interactive.  Either way I have two non-sine wave Line Interactive UPS's powering two different PFC power supplies and neither computer have ever experienced any problems.  I looked into the ones we have at work and they are the same and we've never had a problem.  They all switch to battery without issue.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter in some situations, but it's obviously not a hard rule.

It affects the more recent active PFC supplies and more so with square wave output UPS (the real cheap ones).  Stepped approximation is better, but some supplies do not fair well.  A web search will give you an idea of which supplies are more prone to the problem than others.  It is by no means a hard rule, but is good to do a little research to make sure the supply you have will not drop out when the UPS kicks in or do so on a random basis.

If you are planning on using the APCUPSD plugin with a CyberPower, read this.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13411.msg127182#msg127182

The plugin shuts down unraid without a problem.  Suggest setting "Power Down UPS after shutdown" to NO, and dedicating the UPS to unraid.

On my CP1500PFCLCD, if you set it to YES, the UPS doesn't shutdown when you would expect it to.  At power fail, it sets an internal 60 minute timer, and shuts down the UPS when the timer expires.  And the timer doesn't reset if utility power is restored!  If you power up the server before it expires, be prepared for an unexpected server crash.  A manual power cycle of the UPS will clear the timer.

There's an alternative to APCUPSD that seems to have Cyberpower compatibility.  No idea what it would take to get it running under unraid.

http://www.networkupstools.org