Virtualizing unRAID in Xen on Ubuntu Server 13.04

Guest ddeeds

Guest ddeeds

unRAID has made it clear to me and others that it does not support this effort. Therefore, I will no longer be investing my time with documentation, maintaining unRAID-Xen kernels or supporting it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hay ddeeds, I am keeping my eye on this thread for all the gui stuff. As fir getting unraid to work on my hardware, I give up.

I have reinstalled ubuntu 20 times, xen same. Even recompile both 4 times each. The pciback drivers will not load. Infact last time I recompile the kernel to 3.10 and xen to 4.3

And changed the grub as you show to do. The whole thing stop booting. It just hang on "trying to expand something  " for ever. Hence second recompile. I guess something is wrong with my hardware...

Its ok, I figure something out once I have a good and easy to manage vm environment.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

The PCI passthrough will not work until I document the steps. Its looking like tomorrow before I can get to that. In the meantime you can still get Ubuntu Server going and test unRAID sorta of working in a VM. When I finish with the guide, it will fully work.

why are you saying it's sorta working ? from previous steps, the usb was passed through, so that unraid can see the license key file right ?

my esxi setup is based on an ssd ... im currently thinking of creating another logical volume for isos and then each virtual machine on it's separate logical volume ... it would be great if you can share some best practices on the matter.

this is great stuff ddeeds !

hi ddeeds

I have tried the setup (post 120  Virtualizing unRAID in XenServer 6.2 (UPDATED 8/2))

and

after some playing, if I sue " xl pci-assignable-add  04:06.0"

lsmod | grep xen  still returns nothing

BUT

sudo lspci -k  returns  this so it looks like I have the pciback driver loaded

04:06.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)

Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 11ab

Kernel driver in use: pciback[/b]

what's next?

yes, that was my next step.

I tried the config post #2 very late last night and went to sleep on reboot.

I got up this morning and PC was still on so I check out few commands and to my surprise I got the response I want it as per ddeeds instructions.

I got it from the wrong command (well different command than what was in his post)

but valid result anyhow.

yes, that was my next step.

I tried the config post #2 very late last night and went to sleep on reboot.

I got up this morning and PC was still on so I check out few commands and to my surprise I got the response I want it as per ddeeds instructions.

I got it from the wrong command (well different command than what was in his post)

but valid result anyhow.

that doesn't make any coherent sense mate. what happened when you followed post #3?

:-)

I haven't tried it yet.

I  was trying direction in post #2 yesterday eve.

it seams at first that nothing was working as  I did not get the responses from dmesg and grep xen commands as described by ddeeds.

but I have follow the instructions for modifying the grub.config to add the pcihide stuff to xen boot process and added my SAS card to it.

some commands form post 2 are not working because they use "xe"

but since I loaded Xen 4.3 I should be using "xl"

so I run the xl pci-assignable-add    xx:xx.x  command and it run. no issue.

this morning I runxl pci-assignable-list and got the SAS controller back (this is the first time I actually run a command on this setup and got a result I liked)

so I was psyched about the result and tryed the "lspci -k "

and got a result with SAS controller using pciback driver just as it should be based on all the things we done.

so I now have high hopes that what I want to do will actually work.

but since I had to go to work, I stoped at that.

I will try step #3 tonight and see where it will lead me.

maybe you should start out with esxi, it's a lot more user friendly.

please let's not start this discussion again.

I did start with ESXi. it's not working, hence we are here.

I do believe that I even kick-start 2 or 3 threads for XenServer , Xen and Xen on Ubuntu  here with my cry for help.  ddeeds would you have started the XenServer and Xen threads if it was not my plea for help?  :-)

ddeeds would you have started the XenServer and Xen threads if it was not my plea for help?  :-)

I have run unRAID on Xen for quite some time but it wasn't until XenServer 6.2 became open-sourced in July that I considered posting about it because it's easy to install and set up when compared to Xen in a Linux Distro.

Your cries for help are what motivated me to finally do it... which I am starting to regret.  ;)

sorry man, I am trying  not be a nuisance.

but I think you have something going here, it almost looks  like we are in the final stretch.

also I have seen many people wanting to run UnraidVM on this hardware , so it just might help. and you and ironic doing a bang up job with your posts.

hell, you got me to compile my own kernel....

hay I know I am in deep here, but I really can not wait.

besides, why wait. the guides are active, and it might be better to find out that I can not do something earlier, so I can make other plans, rather than wait several weeks and than been all surprise.

also that's how I ended up with unRaid.

jump right in, and with 5.0Beta13 no less :-)

hay I know I am in deep here, but I really can not wait.

You really need to gear down ??? bruv ???, when working with new tech that you don't really understand the last thing you want to do is rush into it.  ESPECIALLY when it has to do with storage.

hey, I am not risking any thing.

my main unRaid server with all the data is still running untouched.

and it will do so until I am confident that new setup is 100%(at least 99.9%)

also this is home setup. if it's down, it's down.

alternative to what ddeeds?

to Xen? to unraid?

Alternative to Xen and you can run unRAID in a VM via KVM no problems (I have an unRAID bzimage and bzroot for KVM).

Now if your hardware can't passthrough the unRAID USB Flash Drive or drives... Your out of luck with unRAID.

However, you still have ZFS (better, faster, stronger), KVM (hypervisor), etc. all build into one OS that you manage via a webGUI as another alternative. For a noobie it makes life pretty easy.

I only stuck with Xen in a Linux Distro due to my XenServer thread (which for most users is what I suggest) but I could just as easily replace Xen with KVM and do the same thing.

so you think ZFS is better than unRaid?

I though it is not as flexible or extensible in comparison.

I've suggested it before elsewhere...

SmartOS is a great alternative.

ZFS + DTrace + Zones + KVM (Hypervisor that is just as good as ESXi, Xen and Hyper-V) all managed with a webGUI..

fZPFbJq.png

or check out this video:

Ultimately, I will have a guide that does this with Xen but that is a great solution / alternative.

i looked into smartos and it's really neat ... but it seems that, for the time being, it's more enterprise oriented ... specifically i don't think it supports pci passthrough, so that would rule out an unRaid vm.

ok ddeeds, I  am trying to start the VM (post#3  )and this is what I get...

vlad@ubuntuxen:~$ sudo xl create unRAID.cfg -c

Parsing config from unRAID.cfg

xc: error: panic: xc_dom_bzimageloader.c:721: xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel unable to LZMA decompress kernel: Invalid kernel

xc: error: panic: xc_dom_core.c:621: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found: Invalid kernel

libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:384:libxl__build_pv: xc_dom_parse_image failed: No such file or directory

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:900:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

vlad@ubuntuxen:~$