Virtualizing unRAID in Xen on Ubuntu Server 13.04

Guest ddeeds

I was JUST busy with this guide RIGHT now when i refreshed and the content was removed!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fcache.nevkontakte.com%2Fproxy.html#!go/http%3A%2F%2Flime-technology.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D28878.0

Please if anyone knows the developer and how to get in touch with him I would like to know why unraid staff has requested he remove this post. I am very interested in having a multi-purpose media center, and since I am one PC short, it would be great if my unraid box could be dual purpose and also run XBMC on my TV!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately ddeeds seems to have become annoyed with what he perceived as lack of support from Limetech and decided to "take his ball and go home"  :)

See his last post here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30452.msg274065#msg274065

I'd have hoped he would have continued to help, as he was providing some excellent support for those who were virtualizing their systems; but he apparently took the actions he said he would very quickly, as no longer are his threads no longer active, but he's also discontinued his membership in the forum.

... actually, if you look at the very first post in this thread, ddeeds has edited it to note that he has abandoned his support for UnRAID.

I think that was a bit reactionary ... but everyone's entitled to their own choices.

Glad I copied some of guides so I can refer to them when I need to make changes.

Does seem a bit of an overreaction since Tom did actually respond with some questions.  Also the comments about communication he quoted were from someone else not Limetech.

Oh well.....

Hello again guys I'm sorry that support was pulled, whatever the reason.

I would like to appeal to those members who have done this before or who have some knowledge of this setup to please assist me in my endeavor, I have come so close to getting this working!

I pretty much ran through all the steps up until booting into unraid VM.

I have bound the USB controller to the unraidVM, and it appears that when VM starts up it does see the Vanilla Flash Drive, but it still throws the error about not finding the UNRAID volume.

Partial Output of

sudo lspci -k

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5Q Deluxe Motherboard
        Kernel driver in use: pciback

From unRAID.cfg

# Set the following for your PCI Device ID(s) you are passingthrough.

pci = [ '00:1d.0']

Here is where I believe it does have access to the USB thumb drive (from unraid VM console output)

usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1:1.0
usb 1-2: new low-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access              USB DISK 2.0     PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7634944 512-byte logical blocks: (3.90 GB/3.64 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off

Thanks if you've taken the time to read my post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Nokoff

unraid_VM_log.txt

Please guys, anyone?

Would someone mind telling me how to fix this error? I've tried to change my Flash Drive to another USB controller, ran the PCIback script and bound the device but when trying to start the unraid VM...

nokoff@ubuntu:~$ sudo xm create unRAID.cfg -c
Using config file "./unRAID.cfg".
Error: pci: 0000:00:1a.7: non-page-aligned MMIO BAR found.

This is after modifying my unRAID.cfg file for Xen with this command

pci = [ '0000:00:1a.7']

Please guys, anyone?

Would someone mind telling me how to fix this error? I've tried to change my Flash Drive to another USB controller, ran the PCIback script and bound the device but when trying to start the unraid VM...

nokoff@ubuntu:~$ sudo xm create unRAID.cfg -c
Using config file "./unRAID.cfg".
Error: pci: 0000:00:1a.7: non-page-aligned MMIO BAR found.

This is after modifying my unRAID.cfg file for Xen with this command

pci = [ '0000:00:1a.7']

Try '00:1a.7'

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...