unRAID Server Build - Solely For Media Storage - Upgrades Necessary?

Living Legend

I feel like with all these upgrades from what I had originally planned I'm building a HTPC and not a NAS anymore! Haha

Neeaah,  an HTPC is much less complicated.

I sure hope.  I thought I was just getting a metal box and tossing some hard drives inside but now I'm looking into quad core processors, 8 GB Ram and all this other crazy stuff!  TAM still seems interesting but I just don't think I'll ever need something of that magnitude.  I'm also impatient and want to make sure I get this done in the next few weeks when I actually have some free time!

The thing is this doesn't need to be crazy at all. It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you look at my signature you will see my biggest machine is not my beefiest. It has a dual core pentium because I don't use it for anything but umraid and mysql. I don't need power out of it. However my other machine runs a Xeon because I am planning to use it for plex in the near future. The only reason you are adding additional sizing and cost is because you are talking about using plex which adds additional considerations beyond a basic unraid.

Archived