Config Disk?

Just waiting for a parity check to finish and remembered that I had some weird disk in my array... I do not have a physical disk of that size.

I have not have problems (I think) with this, but I remember when there was some HPA problems. Is this related? I mobo is Asus.

Drive Partitions - Not In Protected Array

/dev/sdg	Config_Disk_0_CP-5723_Port_0_1_0_J	8.59G	

How can I get rid of this and free that space for use?

From a Google search of "CP-5723 drive:"

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=762385

it is space for express gate which is onboard memory for a linux operation system and you cannot install windows on it/format/save files to it afaik. check your manual or the asus site

Which didn't make the OP happy...but then it disappeared after an update (BIOS?)

From what I could tell, Express Gate is sort of embedded linux available in the BIOS allowing you to function outside your installed OS. And a little more reading of Express Gate leads me to believe you can disable it in the BIOS' "Tools" section. I hope that helps!

What size does the Web GUI show for each of your disks?

Assuming this is an HPA issue, ONE of your physical disks should show a slightly reduced size vs. the other drives of the same size.

Once you know WHICH disk this is, you can resolve it by booting to HDAT2 [http://www.hdat2.com/ ] and removing the HPA from the disk.    But clearly you want to be VERY cautious about doing this -- doing it incorrectly, or to the wrong disk, can have very bad consequences !!

Note that the HPA issue that was fairly common was related to Gigabyte motherboards -- not Asus.  If your drive was previously installed in a Gigabyte board;  or was part of a system that used HPAs for various things [Dell used to use them for MediaDirect;  Lenovo used them for their recovery data -- neither does that with recent systems];  then it's possible this is an HPA>

But it's also possible this isn't an HPA ... you may simply have a partition that was on the drive and not deleted when you added it to UnRAID (e.g. an old recovery partition).  If that's the case, it's a bit easier to correct.

Archived