Local Master setting should it be YES or NO for a Workgroup network?

I read most of the messages here regarding Local Master settings but can't come to a firm conclusion probably because I can't make heads or tails of this setting.

My Network is a Workgroup environment. I have a 8 port Gigabit switch (3Com Managed Gigabit Switch 3CDSG8) with one port going to a Sonos bridge, 2nd port to a Win 7 PC, 3rd port to a Silicondust HD Homerun tuner and a 4th port connects to a (TrendNet TEG-S80G) 8 port Gigabit switch.

This 8 port Gigabit switch (TrendNet TEG-S80G) has 2 ports going to two UnRaid servers, 1 port to a QNAP NAS (Runs 24/7), 1 Port to a Win 7 PC, 1 port to a FIOS router (DHCP & Gateway), 1 port for a WD Live Streaming Media Player and the last port goes to a DGS 2208 Desktop Gigabit switch 60 feet away in the Home Theater room.

The DGS 2208 switch has connected a Win 7 HTPC, Roku 3, Dune Smart B1 & a Denon AVR receiver.

The QNAP NAS has been configured as Local Master = Yes, The Dune Smart B1 has a SMB Server which is set to ENABLED, however the Dune Smart is not always on just when needed. Only the QNAP NAS runs 24/7 connected to a UPS.

Here is my question should the two UnRaid servers also have the Local Master set to YES? I read in the Dune forum that too many Local Masters could cause confusion as to what SMB implementation is being run. Sorry if this is all too elementary but I like to make sure that these Local Master settings are correct.

Thanks for any help

O2G

I personally would only set one device, but no more than two, to be the master browser.  Pick something that will be on 24/7.  Either the QNAP or the Unraid Server.  If you set two, they should vote between themselves to elect the master browser and the other should take over if the primary goes away.

I have my Unraid server set as the master browser.  I tried having two before, using my router as the second, but I had problems.  Now I only one and have not had any additional problems.  A good tool for determining who is the master browser in the network is LANScan. Install/unzip it in its own folder in the root C: drive.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Another nice thing about this tool is it will identify all of the work groups in your network.  Handy in case you have multiple work groups by choice or accident.  It tells you which PC's are in which workgroup.

Thanks for the tip on LANscan used it and I believe solved any possible problems. After running I found that the Dune Smart B1 was the master browser because it was in software standby. Changed the power settings so that it will power it off instead of standby mode. This evidently is a known problem and it looks like that this is in the Dune Linux kernel.

Ran LANscan again and then the WD Live Streaming Media Player became the master browser. Unplugged the power and ran LANscan again this time the QNAP NAS is the master browser and this box is never turned off it runs 24/7.

Is this is a correct assumption that if I turn the Dune Smart B1 & the WD Live Streaming Media Player back on that they will not highjack the master browser function?

Thanks for your help.

That should do the trick.  The other devices should not hijack the Master Browser function -- the process is that they look for a Master; and if they find one they defer;  if not they assume the role.

Not every device works as smoothly as that -- that's why you can sometimes end up with more than one Master (which can cause issues in name resolution) ... but it's likely all will be just fine, since your QNAP is never turned off.  [is is on a UPS?  ... if not, you'll need to check this all again after any power failures, unless it's always the first thing you turn on]

... I have about an hour of time ...

Very good runtime !!    Of course everything connected to the UPS is pretty low power, but nevertheless, that's EXCELLENT runtime.    My UPS indicates ~ 30 min of runtime, but I have UnRAID set to power down after 10 minutes.    This year's been pretty good, however (knock on wood) => every outage has been less than that ... my current runtime is "274 days, 15:28"

I would try to turn of the master browser feature in the dune and WDLive if you can.  This will stop them from even trying to become the master browser.

I don't think this is possible. Couldn't find anything for the WD Live Streaming Media Player & for the Dune it is Linux Kernel thingy. I set it now so that when the Dune is powered off it is really OFF and not in standby mode. This seems to work for the Dune. The WD Live I am not worried about if it doesn't play correct it gets powered down & unplugged until needed.