how to boot from cold boot and start the array automatically

BartDG

HI all,

I'm new to unRAID but managed to set it up.  It'll mostly be used as a backup server and video/mp3 server.  For this I don't need it to run 24/7.  So I usually turn it off when I'm done using it.

Now, the problem here is that, when I reboot, the array is stopped.  This needed to be done before I can safely turn off the server. 

My question is: how can I make it so that the unRAID server boots up from cold boot and automatically starts the array (and the shares show up on my Windows machine)?  Now, every time a manual intervention is needed and this is not handy.  In time I want to set up a VPN so I can safely access my server from outside my house, but I would then also turn the server on and off from the remote location.  Having to start the array manually is a pain then.  Basically I just want to push the button/click the WOL icon on my windows machine and have the server boot up completely and be done with it.

Thanks!

Perfect! Thanks a lot!!

Edit : would it also be possible to shut the system down with a single command of some sort, so that I could create a shortcut icon on my windows desktop to shut the server down safely?  Or maybe even turn it on/off between certain hours of the day?  Sort of like a cron job?

Thx!

You've got two options - you could put your server into S3 sleep but leave it powered on 24/7, then just wake it up from another workstation with the Wake-On LAN magic packet.

Alternatively, you could use a cron job to shut your server down at a certain time and use a timer on the power socket to turn the power off a few minutes later then back on again in the morning. You'll need to change the power loss settings in the BIOS to "Always on" or similar.

Just bear in mind that the second method isn't really possible at the moment, because there's no safe way to shut down the server from the command line at the moment (AFAIK)

Archived