$150 Seagate 4TB good until 9/22 11:59 PST

VizeL

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I haven't had many good experiences with Seagate drives. I suppose they fail as frequently as others but when I have had to RMA a Seagate drive it was a huge pain because you had to have the right sized box and use special foam to ship it in or they wouldn't take it. I save a few boxes and shipping materials that previous drives come in, in case I need to RMA but they wouldn't accept it so I had to go out and buy the other.

I've also had to use some special program of theirs with an older SATA drive to force it to use 1.5Gpbs speed as opposed to 3Gbps  just to get it to work. It was a big enough pain trying to find the software on their site but once I got it the damn thing wouldn't work. After hours or trying I came to realize there must have been some idiot that didn't QA the software or test it very well because the menu was backwards. There were two options: 1.5-->3 and 3-->1.5 and they did the reverse of what they said they did.

After that I have never bought a Seagate again. It was a while ago though so I might give them another chance.

Rant over.

This does look like a good deal though.

Personally, I haven't had many good experiences with Seagate drives. I suppose they fail as frequently as others but when I have had to RMA a Seagate drive it was a huge pain because you had to have the right sized box and use special foam to ship it in or they wouldn't take it. I save a few boxes and shipping materials that previous drives come in, in case I need to RMA but they wouldn't accept it so I had to go out and buy the other.

I've also had to use some special program of theirs with an older SATA drive to force it to use 1.5Gpbs speed as opposed to 3Gbps  just to get it to work. It was a big enough pain trying to find the software on their site but once I got it the damn thing wouldn't work. After hours or trying I came to realize there must have been some idiot that didn't QA the software or test it very well because the menu was backwards. There were two options: 1.5-->3 and 3-->1.5 and they did the reverse of what they said they did.

After that I have never bought a Seagate again. It was a while ago though so I might give them another chance.

Rant over.

This does look like a good deal though.

Haven't used one since 7200.11's came on the market.

You can always just paint the label red! :-)

I think I might pull the trigger on this and make it my parity drive..  Tough call..

I have a 3TB now and I need to decide if I want to make the jump to 4TB or stick with 3TB still

and just get another 3TB...

Jim

When I would run low on space, I used to get get the largest capacity available. Of course it would go to my parity drive and many times I wouldn't get the full capacity until much later when I needed more space. By that time a drive of equal size was much cheaper. I found I was paying a premium to have the latest in capacity but couldn't use that capacity for a good 6 months to a year. So I started buying the drives that had the better price per GB ratio as opposed to largest capacity. Right now 3TB drives typically have the best PPG ratio but every so often a 4TB on sale will pop up with a comparable price. At this price point however, this drive is that largest capacity available and a great PPG ratio at ~3.66¢. On pcpartspicker.com the cheapest PPG ratio is a 3TB at 3.8¢

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=a6