trouble with PlexConnect

bdee1

I currently have a apple TV 2 which is jailbroken and runnign plex and I would liek to be able to update to the latest ATV software - of course this means losing my lailbreak so I would need to use PlexConnect.

I set up my unraid to use plexConnect using the directions found here :

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/70272-plexconnect-on-unraid/

and when i change the DNS address on my appleTV to point to the IP address fo my unraid, i lose all the icons on my home screen except for 4 or 5 (settings, computers, plex, nito and one other).

any idea what I am doing wrong or how to troubleshoot?

Those are unfortunately outdated installation instructions. Apple has since changed the trailers.apple.com to use https and the installation became much more complex. I did post information about the current solution in the same thread. The linked instructions are very detailed and apart from the supported Python version they were correct.

It took me also a while to understand that most of the threads had old information...

Me too :o I did the installation last weekend and I thought I created a link to the full guide I followed. But lets see again ;)

The official PlexConnect page

, take a look on the Installation section where there is a link to the more detailed wiki installation guides.

You have to perform four main steps:

1. Install PlexConnect on unRAID

- I had to use Python 2.7.3 to make it work, 2.6.6 simply got stuck

- You should run the PlexConnect in the foreground when testing. Just leave out the nohup from the start and & from the end

2. Create HTTPS/SSL certificate (using OpenSSL)

- There seems to be several guides for this and I did not find the guide I followed...

3. Install certificate to assets/certificate/ (in unRAID PlexConnect directory structure)

4. Install certificate on aTV (using the iPhone configurator)

- Again several guides exists, I would expect any of them to produce good results. Just pick the one matching your desktop OS.

Hope this helps. This definitely screams for an updated full-run guide.

Thank you!  That is very helpful.  I will give that a try and see how i do.  So you were able to get it up and running?  Does it work well this way?

Also I have couch potato installed on my unraid which I think uses python 2.6. If it's not couch potato it's something else but I definitely already have python 2.6 on my unraid.  Can I run 2.6 and 2.7 or do i upgrade to 2.7?

Thanks again for your help here!!!

Yes it is working quite nicely. I've been doing testing lately on several different Plex client platforms: Rasplex, Samsung Smart-TV, Sony NSZ-GS7 (GoogleTV), AppleTV3 and Win8 (native, PMC and PHT). PHT is a clear winner since it provides true 1080p24 support and best user experience. Samsung Smart-TV is the next best and being directly integrated is the most seamless. Both ATV3 and Sony NSZ-GS7 support only 1080p60 which causes some microjudder and overall image quality is not as good as on PHT. ATV3's Plex interface is implemented more to the ATV style is quite different from the rest of the Plex family. But it has all the necessary functionality. ATV3 does not support direct play with subtitles, unlike all the other, official clients. This will require heavier CPU on the server for transcoding. Rasplex simply isn't anywhere near to real production use.

If you already have an ATV3 device then it makes sense to see the extra trouble getting it running. If not, I would recommend using any of the official clients. Sony NSZ-GS7 is my favourite of the inexpensive add-on clients. If you want 1080p24 and HD audio then PHT is the only choice.

Archived