Need some help on sharing my Windows connection so I can install unmenu

Hi folks,

I am trying to share my Internet connection on my Windows 7 PC directly with my unraid server so I can install and download unmenu as well as ntfs-3g.  I am using a mobile 3g card via usb to connect to the internet.  I then share this connection in the adapter settings to the LAN.  Once I do this it automatically changes the IP of the LAN adapter to 192.168.137.1 and 255.255.255.0.  I then vi'd the network.cfg file in unraid to 192.168.137.2 and 255.255.255.0.  No gateway or dns entries and dhcp=no in the .cfg file.  The two boxes are directly connected with a cat 5e cable that is good. 

What is weird is that as I boot up I see the lights initiate on the NIC for the unraid box but as soon as unraid is up it goes blank.  No network connection.  No lights.  Windows 7 shows cable unplugged. 

What am I missing?

Can you attach a syslog showing boot up? I believe you'll need to enter the gateway address of the laptop, 192.168.137.1 into unRAID IP settings. You can use the dns entry that your laptop uses or Google's 8.8.8.8. Try booting without the network connection and after both systems are up reconnect the cable.

Also, mcedit is a bit easier than vi. Midnight Commander, mc, is part of the unRAID distribution.

Theoretically sharing the connection sets up a DHCP server on the LAN connection of the laptop, so you should be able to leave the unraid box set to dhcp=yes, and let it pick up the rest of the settings automatically. However... if the link is dropping, you may have to use a ethernet switch instead of just plugging one directly into the other. In theory it should work,  but theory matches reality for only a small subset of life. If you have a small unmanaged gigabit switch available, try plugging both the laptop and the unraid tower directly into that, and leave the unraid set to dhcp=yes and see what happens.

What miscellaneous network equipment do you have available to you right now?

Thanks for the help guys.  Apparently I had a weird unknown onboard NIC hardware failure.  The amber light was stuck on and I could not for the life of me figure out how to to clear it.  Finally was able to get rid of it by pulling the CMOS battery. 

I never got a chance to try installing unmenu as I don't think I need it currently.  I did get about 5TB's of data (movies, music and TV shows) in the array and the guys are loving it. 

Next up is installing Air Video so we can watch from our iPads.

At the moment I use NPlayer on my iPads which can video play directly off the unRAID shares thus avoiding the need to install anything at the unRAID end of the link.  When playing off network shares become available (as promised for a future release) I will probably switch to the inFuse media player which I already use on my Apple TV..

At the moment I use NPlayer on my iPads which can video play directly off the unRAID shares thus avoiding the need to install anything at the unRAID end of the link.  When playing off network shares become available (as promised for a future release) I will probably switch to the inFuse media player which I already use on my Apple TV..

Investigating these options now.  Thanks very much for the tip.  The easier the better!