WD Red 3TB HDD for $110 AR (or less)

jangjong

For those who love Red 3TB drives, here is a good deal!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3580092&CatId=139

Now, it's $110 After Rebate.. but TigerDirect is having V.me deal $20 off $100 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/v_me/) which makes this $90 after rebate.

or, if you have an amex card, log in to amex site and activate $30 back when spending $100 at TigerDirect deal to get $30 back which makes it $80 AR for this!

Thanks, just ordered two.  With the V.me discount and rebate, I paid $100 per disk. 

The fist two of these I bought last year cost me $178 each.  I got two more earlier this year for $135 ea. from Amazon.  These new ones will replace two 2TB WD greens in my UnRaid server making it an all WD 3TB Red server with a 7200 RPM Hitachi as the Parity disk.

I really like the WD Red drives.

I really like the WD Red drives.

+1  :)

... I've bought 14 of them in the past year => starting at around $200 each, and got the last couple for $125.    The pricing is really good right now.

Despite that, I probably won't buy any more of the 3TB units  8)

... my next drives will almost certainly be their "big brother" -- the forthcoming 5TB WD Red that's due next month

So I have all 2TB (and one 1.5TB) drives in my server and I'd like to add another drive to up the available space in the next few months. Is there any benefit to waiting or should I grab a single 3TB drive now? I'm on 4.7 so I'd have to upgrade before I put the 3TB drive into service.

If you want to use larger drives, you first have to update to v5.0.    Then you can upgrade your parity drive to the largest drive you want to use ... 3TB, 4TB, or (in a month or so) 5TB.

Whether you want to add more 2TB drives at this point depends on your => if your system has space for the drives, and you have spare SATA ports, then simply adding another 2TB drive is the quickest and least expensive option.  But if you plan to extend further, consider how many drives you have room for; and what size drive will let you expand to your target size.    If that requires an upgrade to v5.0; then do the upgrade first;  then upgrade the parity drive; and then you can add larger drives (up to the size of your new parity drive) or replace existing drives.

If you want to use larger drives, you first have to update to v5.0.    Then you can upgrade your parity drive to the largest drive you want to use ... 3TB, 4TB, or (in a month or so) 5TB.

Whether you want to add more 2TB drives at this point depends on your => if your system has space for the drives, and you have spare SATA ports, then simply adding another 2TB drive is the quickest and least expensive option.  But if you plan to extend further, consider how many drives you have room for; and what size drive will let you expand to your target size.    If that requires an upgrade to v5.0; then do the upgrade first;  then upgrade the parity drive; and then you can add larger drives (up to the size of your new parity drive) or replace existing drives.

I have 15 hot-swap bays and I'm only using 6 of them including the parity drive. I believe I have another 2 SATA ports free on the motherboard, and if not I have a 2port SATA PCI card here somewhere.

I'm pretty busy with work now and will be till after Xmas so I'll likely revisit this at that time. Thanks for your time.

Sounds like you can easily add 2 more 2TB drives at your leisure, and this will likely last you a long time.  But beyond that, I'd definitely consider a v5.0 upgrade and a move towards larger drives.    By January you should even be able to upgrade to a 5TB parity drive ... although the pricing may be fairly high initially, so you may choose to stay with 4TB (or even 3TB).

Sounds like you can easily add 2 more 2TB drives at your leisure, and this will likely last you a long time.  But beyond that, I'd definitely consider a v5.0 upgrade and a move towards larger drives.    By January you should even be able to upgrade to a 5TB parity drive ... although the pricing may be fairly high initially, so you may choose to stay with 4TB (or even 3TB).

Yes, if I needed to it would be fairly easy to order another 2TB drive, clear it, and add it to the array. Then come January I could upgrade to 5.0 and go with a 3TB or 4TB drive for parity. I have 1.75TB free on the server right now and I don't foresee filling that up in the next few months. I'm more concerned with quieting the beast down and being able to sleep the server than I am right now about disk space.

I have 15 hot-swap bays and I'm only using 6 of them including the parity drive. I believe I have another 2 SATA ports free on the motherboard, and if not I have a 2port SATA PCI card here somewhere.

I'm pretty busy with work now and will be till after Xmas so I'll likely revisit this at that time. Thanks for your time.

If you only have 6 drives now, you may have a plus license. You'd need to upgrade to a pro license to use more than 6 drives (technically 7 - 1 parity, 5 data, 1 cache).

If you already have a pro license, you can fill up your 15 bays or go beyond that up to 25 drives (in ver 5.0,  (1 parity, 23 data, and 1 cache)).

If you only have 6 drives now, you may have a plus license. You'd need to upgrade to a pro license to use more than 6 drives (technically 7 - 1 parity, 5 data, 1 cache).

If you already have a pro license, you can fill up your 15 bays or go beyond that up to 25 drives (in ver 5.0,  (1 parity, 23 data, and 1 cache)).

I bought a Pro license, at the time 3TB drives weren't in view and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't reach a capacity limit early on :)

ETA: Is it possible to do the Amex and V.me offers in a single purchase?