Supermicro C2SEE Issues - Anything else to try?

I recently decided to grab a spare C2SEE mobo I've had for a few years now from the closet since I am about to rebuild my unRAID box with a new case I just purchased, but now I need to get some RAM. Figured I would max it out, but now I'm confused. According to newegg and specs on the supermicro website, the board maxes out at 4GB (with C2SEA maxing out at 8GB), but the box says the C2SEE maxes out at 8GB (and the C2SEA is 16GB). I know that sometimes boards reference maxes for the modules that exist at the time the board is released, and maybe firmware upgrades can increase maxes, but can anyone tell me 100% what the max for this board is?

See attached for a pic of the box I took.

photo_1.JPG.3b27391527f8dc07a8e320391ea4f7e1.JPG

Supermicro is very conservative in specifying their RAM capabilities.  I've seen several boards that list a 4GB max that work just fine with 8GB.    The only way to know for sure is to simply try it.  I've buy a pair of 4GB modules ... assuming they work fine, you could always add 2 more.

If I remember correctly the C2SEE only has two memory slots so buying in pairs would not work.  My C2SEE only has 2 memory slots can't say they all do.

You're correct.  My C2SEA has 4 slots; but the SuperMicro specs indeed show only 2 slots on the C2SEE models. 

So the best you can do is 8GB, using a pair of 4GB modules.  Although SuperMicro's specs show the board only supports 4GB, it will almost certainly work with 4GB modules for an 8GB total.  As I noted above, the only way to know for sure is to simply try it.

You're correct.  My C2SEA has 4 slots; but the SuperMicro specs indeed show only 2 slots on the C2SEE models. 

So the best you can do is 8GB, using a pair of 4GB modules.  Although SuperMicro's specs show the board only supports 4GB, it will almost certainly work with 4GB modules for an 8GB total.  As I noted above, the only way to know for sure is to simply try it.

I had a feeling it would, just wanted to check with others that may have the board. Figured for ~$25 more I could get 8GB instead of 4, so might as well.

Thanks!

Hit my first problem last night with this board. Tried 2 types of RAM, one 8GB kit (Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333) and one 4GB kit (Microcenter DDR3 1333, which is A-DATA RAM). Got constant beeping from the mobo. After some research there seems to be a bit of confusion whether this is a RAM issue or an overheating trigger issue. After a good bit of trial and error testing, I've decided it may be a RAM issue as I have also read this board is very finicky with RAM. So, my next step is to grab some RAM that is on Supermicro's official list (I can pick up some of the Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM Kit pretty easily) and give it a go. Decided not to even bother tracking down an 8GB kit that will work at this point since I can't find any official word about this board accepting >4GB aside from what is printed on the box. Everything online simply says 4GB max. I'll save big RAM for when I completely rebuild this server for much more powerful tasks when I ditch LGA 775.

Hit my first problem last night with this board. Tried 2 types of RAM, one 8GB kit (Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333) and one 4GB kit (Microcenter DDR3 1333, which is A-DATA RAM). Got constant beeping from the mobo. After some research there seems to be a bit of confusion whether this is a RAM issue or an overheating trigger issue. After a good bit of trial and error testing, I've decided it may be a RAM issue as I have also read this board is very finicky with RAM. So, my next step is to grab some RAM that is on Supermicro's official list (I can pick up some of the Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM Kit pretty easily) and give it a go. Decided not to even bother tracking down an 8GB kit that will work at this point since I can't find any official word about this board accepting >4GB aside from what is printed on the box. Everything online simply says 4GB max. I'll save big RAM for when I completely rebuild this server for much more powerful tasks when I ditch LGA 775.

I've never had a problem on any MB so far including my C2SEE (which I'm not using currently anywhere) with memory that Kingston says is compatible.  Naturally they only list "their" memory but any other maker that will give you recommendations on their site by MB search should be as reliable as Kingston site has been for me.

I've never really had any issues with RAM. I normally go with RAM that has good reviews, etc, but this board has now gotten the best of me. At this point, I'm about to call the board defective. It's been in a box, never removed from it's anti-static bag for a couple years now.

As a quick sanity check on if I've done everything possible, here's the breakdown of everything I've tried and checked.

- 3 different types of RAM: 8GB Kit (Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333, not on Supermicro's list), 4GB kit (Microcenter DDR3 1333, which is A-DATA RAM, not on Supermicro's list), and another 4GB Kit (Crucial DDR3 1333 which IS on Supermicro's list). I have tested every configuration I can think of...both sticks in, only one stick in, testing with both RAM slots, etc.

- Known good CPU pulled from another build. Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo (on the mobo's list of supported CPU's). I checked for any bent pins on the board and all is good. I tested with the heat sink on and CPU fan plugged in, then tested very quickly with the heat sink off and finger on the CPU to confirm I could feel heat and the CPU was receiving power. The heat sink has been reseated with fresh thermal paste 3-4 times.

- 2 known good PSU's. One that is currently powering my unRAID box, and another that is currently powering my HTPC.

Initially before I realized there was a problem, all drives and cards were hooked up to the board. During the troubleshooting, nothing was attached to the board except for the power supply and CPU heat sink fan.

Is there anything else I'm missing?