PlexWatch and PlexWatchWeb - install.sh - unRAID 5.* only (until webserver)

Well your crontab needs to be edited to the correct locations of plexWatch so use crontab -e to correct that first

When I closed down the server yesterday plexWatch seemed to be working just fine (thanks again!). It seems that my edits to crontab did not survive a reboot. After editing crontab after the reboot and running run.sh everything seems fine again. There must be a way to fix this permanently but cannot find the file to edit.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting closer and closer. Almost everything seems to be working fine. I still think something strange is going on with my install. The script did not install plexWatch to  /boot/config/plugins/. Is it OK to copy the directory that is installed to the cache location?

5. Push Notifications

uncomment needed dependencies in /boot/config/plugins/plexWatch/run.sh

sudo sh run.sh

After an edit in config.php also plexWatchWeb seems to be working. However the homepage still reads: Failed to access Plex Media Server. Please check your settings.

Not a big thing, but on the Charts page it does not show the cover art.

edit: Works just fine after using PMS "Friendly name" instead of IP

Lots of kudos for all the work to make this available to us. Thanks.

I can help you did this tonight after work but I can tell you the file that needs to be edited is the go file located on your flash drive in /boot/config/ I'm on my cell right now so I can't give you what needs to be there but I'll be back later.

I'm getting closer and closer. Almost everything seems to be working fine. I still think something strange is going on with my install. The script did not install plexWatch to  /boot/config/plugins/. Is it OK to copy the directory that is installed to the cache location?

5. Push Notifications

uncomment needed dependencies in /boot/config/plugins/plexWatch/run.sh

sudo sh run.sh

After an edit in config.php also plexWatchWeb seems to be working. However the homepage still reads: Failed to access Plex Media Server. Please check your settings.

Not a big thing, but on the Charts page it does not show the cover art.

edit: Works just fine after using PMS "Friendly name" instead of IP

Lots of kudos for all the work to make this available to us. Thanks.

Do you still need help i'm home now and have some time. Let me know what the problem is and I may know what you need to do.

Do you still need help i'm home now and have some time. Let me know what the problem is and I may know what you need to do.

Thanks for helping out DToX, work has been crazy.  Thats a weird thing that IP won't work...

Thanks a lot DToX! Of course also many thanks to smdion for making this possible to all of us!

Before a reboot of the server 5 minutes ago (annoying a remote user 8)) everything worked like charm. What a briljant add-on to Plex and unRAID.

I think (n00b alert) that the only thing that does not survive a reboot is crontab, i.e. a proper reference to my alternative install location (instead of the standard ones). Please note that at current there is nothing at all in my go script for plexWatch. This, by the way, makes me wonder from where it is invoked?

Hope this makes sense.

Easy fix, add the following to the bottom of your go file and do a reboot to test.

#version .0.9.1 plexWatch
echo '#' >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
echo '# Start of plexWatch crontab entries' >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
echo '* * * * *' /usr/bin/perl /mnt/cache/_Usenet/appdata/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
echo '# End of plexWatch crontab entries' >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
echo '#' >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
sudo sh npm config set ca
sudo sh /mnt/cache/_Usenet/appdata/plexWatch/run.sh
#end plexWatch

killall crond && crond

Thanks a lot DToX! Of course also many thanks to smdion for making this possible to all of us!

Before a reboot of the server 5 minutes ago (annoying a remote user 8)) everything worked like charm. What a briljant add-on to Plex and unRAID.

I think (n00b alert) that the only thing that does not survive a reboot is crontab, i.e. a proper reference to my alternative install location (instead of the standard ones). Please note that at current there is nothing at all in my go script for plexWatch. This, by the way, makes me wonder from where it is invoked?

Hope this makes sense.

Hi there, i keep getting the following error in my syslog.

sendmail is not located inside my sbin - Is there something i can comment out to stop it trying to use sendmail? and to remove the other errors.

Mar 16 12:53:01 jbox crond[11606]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu
t for user root /usr/bin/perl /mnt/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl --rec
ently_added=movie,tv to /dev/null
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[7271]: exit status 2 from user root /usr/bin/perl /mn
t/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[7271]: exit status 2 from user root /usr/bin/perl /mn
t/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl --recently_added=movie,tv
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[11638]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu
t for user root /usr/bin/perl /mnt/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl to /d
ev/null
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[11639]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu
t for user root /usr/bin/perl /mnt/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl --rec

I'm a complete idiot. I did a fresh install (don't ask me why...) and -whatever I try- I cannot get plexWatchWeb to work. I'm pretty sure that plexWatch is running OK.

On the plexWatchWeb settings screen, I am unable to go to the different sections. Whilst everything was working OK, I think this page also showed the plexWatch version. That is not here now.

I’m so sorry to bother you guys again.

I'm a complete idiot. I did a fresh install (don't ask me why...) and -whatever I try- I cannot get plexWatchWeb to work. I'm pretty sure that plexWatch is running OK.

On the plexWatchWeb settings screen, I am unable to go to the different sections. Whilst everything was working OK, I think this page also showed the plexWatch version. That is not here now.

I’m so sorry to bother you guys again.

try chmod 777 on the plexwatchweb folder, it's probably the settings file that needs it

I power down my server at the end of the day. This morning I noticed that I had to run run.sh to get plexWatch up and running again. I double checked my go script but I'm probably overlooking something. Would be grateful if you could have a look (attached).

Further, I cannot get Growl to work on my MacBook. I edited run.sh as per instructions in opening post:

#Needed for GNTP
sudo cpanm Growl::GNTP

I Growl preferences on the MacBook I ticked "Listen for incoming notifications".

As always: would be grateful for your support!

edit: I noticed these errors in my syslog. Any thoughts?

Mar 19 10:36:12 Server afpd[30725]: posix_acls_to_uaperms(path, st, ma) failed: No such file or directory
Mar 19 10:36:12 Server afpd[30725]: acl = acl_get_file(path, ACL_TYPE_ACCESS) failed: No such file or directory
Mar 19 10:36:12 Server afpd[30725]: posix_acls_to_uaperms(path, st, ma) failed: No such file or directory
Mar 19 10:36:12 Server afpd[30725]: acl = acl_get_file(path, ACL_TYPE_ACCESS) failed: No such file or directory

go.txt

I power down my server at the end of the day. This morning I noticed that I had to run run.sh to get plexWatch up and running again. I double checked my go script but I'm probably overlooking something. Would be grateful if you could have a look (attached).

Further, I cannot get Growl to work on my MacBook. I edited run.sh as per instructions in opening post:

#Needed for GNTP
sudo cpanm Growl::GNTP

I Growl preferences on the MacBook I ticked "Listen for incoming notifications".

As always: would be grateful for your support!

edit: I noticed these errors in my syslog. Any thoughts?

I would have to see a syslog at boot to narrow down the issue, try rebooting again and see if it happens one more time

Hi there, i keep getting the following error in my syslog.

sendmail is not located inside my sbin - Is there something i can comment out to stop it trying to use sendmail? and to remove the other errors.

Mar 16 12:53:01 jbox crond[11606]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu
t/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl
t/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl --recently_added=movie,tv
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[11638]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu
t for user root /usr/bin/perl /mnt/cache/.plexwatch/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl to /d
ev/null
Mar 16 12:54:01 jbox crond[11639]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron outpu

Found the solution to this via this post from the PlexWatch dev: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/72552-plexwatch-plex-notify-script-send-push-alerts-on-new-sessions-and-stopped/page-37#entry574455

I took the third option and changed my cron as follows:

#change from 
* * * * * YOUR_USERNAME /opt/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl

# change to
* * * * * YOUR_USERNAME /opt/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl &> /dev/null

Im having issues with plexWatch where it will work for a few hours and then just stop updating. plexWatchWeb will show what is currently being played but none of the history/charts/etc are updating. I have tried using the killall crond && crond command but that hasnt helped any either.

Im having issues with plexWatch where it will work for a few hours and then just stop updating. plexWatchWeb will show what is currently being played but none of the history/charts/etc are updating. I have tried using the killall crond && crond command but that hasnt helped any either.

Same thing here. I've reinstalled a couple of times and still have the same result.

Same thing here. I've reinstalled a couple of times and still have the same result.

Same here, now i have another issue. I reinstalled earlier today and configured everythign and when i go to plexWatchWeb it says it cant access the database. Removed/Reinstalled/Reconfigured again and the same thing.

Same here, now i have another issue. I reinstalled earlier today and configured everythign and when i go to plexWatchWeb it says it cant access the database. Removed/Reinstalled/Reconfigured again and the same thing.

Sorry guys.. but I've moved on to V6 on both of my boxes, I don't have anyway to see whats wrong.

And the same here. I guess we are stuck....

And the same here. I guess we are stuck....

Agreed, i opted to just set up a lamp server and its been running 3 days now in virtualization with no issues whatsoever.