KVM Extenders over IP

bubbaQ

Does anyone have a recommendation for a KVM extender that works over IP with something like VNC?

I have remote control capabilities via desktop sharing and other remote control apps for all my boxes, but those of course require the system to boot.  I'm looking for something that will give me KVM control during post and boot.

Something like a Raritan Dominion DKX2-101, but not so pricy!  I'd really like an opinion of someone who has direct experience with one that worked... I've used some in the past that sucked, and reviews are really hit-or-miss.

Here is one my friend uses on the front end of a 16 port KVM.

1 Port Server Remote Control IP KVM w/Virtual Media

StarTech.com ID:  SV1107IPEXT

http://www.startech.com/item/SV1107IPEXT-1-Port-Server-Remote-Control-IP-KVM-w-Virtual-Media.aspx

I have not used it in years so I do not know of it's current quality level.

It's interesting. it has a java applet so any browser can access it.

From what I remember of the older version, you could also connect with SSH and tunnel a VNC client.

• 5 months later...

BuyDig (a/k/a Beach Camera) has a bunch of D-LINK KVM over IP boxes (KVM-410) for $135 (normally over $400, even on eBay).

http://www.buydig.com/shop/basket.aspx?sku=DLIKVM410&act=add&sks=DLIKVM410,&omid=103&ref=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DLIKVM410&cam=dtc

These are nice for unRAID since it lets you run unRAID headless, and still have complete keyboard/video/mouse remotely, including during boot so you can run memtest or go into the BIOS, etc., without having to hook your unRAID box up to a monitor and kbd.

We use a Lantronix Spider at work occasionally to let remote support staff get into KVM for servers that don't have an integrated IPMI solution:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html

The interface is similar in functionality to SuperMicro's IPMI cards, remote floppy/CD mount via USB, the usual KVM stuff etc.  Works fine for us.  They're a bit pricy but it's cheaper than the Raritan one (Never used that one).

Oh, BTW, the nice thing about IPMI and the USB based KVM solutions is you can mount images remotely to boot off of.  (Floppy, CD etc) or just use your local CD to mount it on the server.

I've used this to reinstall my SuperMicro co-located server that's several hundred miles away from bare metal.  I was a bit nervous at first but now I don't hesitate, works great and it's faster than I'd thought it would have been!  Now if I could just figure out a way to disconnect the drive cables from the 3WARE and connect them to the MB remotely to enable TLER and figure out a way to swap a hard drive remotely I'd be all set!  :)