after running reiserfsck can not access shares

I was in the process of upgrading disk 2 from a 2tb disk to a 3tb disk.  The rebuild completed so i started a parity check.  The parity check started to show sync errors.  Then disk6 shows red ball and stop parity sync.  I rebooted and now disk6 shows unformatted.  I think this is where I made a mistake thinking that since disk6 might be bad and swapping it for a new 3tb drive.  The rebuild completed but disk6 still shows unformatted.  I followed the instructions here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25006.0  and ran reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md6.  It completed but now I can not access shares that are on disk6.  Any idea of what I should do next?  syslog attached,  is it saying that there is problem with disk2?

syslog.txt

That log is showing there is file system corruption on disk2 that would need reiserfsck to be run to correct it.  Quite why this might be the case I am not sure.

Regarding your issue with disk6 it is not quite clear to me what you did?  Are you saying you tried to replace a 2TB drive with a 3TB one?  If so I could not see this working correctly on a disk that is showing as unformatted as this implies file system corruption.  You would first need to run reiserfsck against the original 2TB drive to fix such issues before trying to upgrade it to a larger size.

If you have the original 2TB drives for disk2 and disk6 then I would make sure you keep them safe until you have resolved your current issues.

I still have both disk.  Yes I saw that disk6 red ball and had error during the parity sync but when I rebooted show unformatted so I was thinking that I can fix it but putting a new larger disk in.  So I just need to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on disk2 also?

I don't have any extra spot to put the disk6 in.  Can I just hook it up to another computer and see if I can access it?

Do you mean you don't have any bays to mount it in, or you don't have any SATA ports to connect it to?

Both I have no more space in the case and also no more free sata port

I pulled the 2tb disk2 and 2tb disk6 and plugged it into another computer and all my data seem to be still on it.  I'm in the process of upgrading all the 2tb disk to 3tb.  Would it be a bad idea to just pull all the 2tb and put 3tb disk in and copy all the data back on instead of trying to fix the problem I currently have?

What OS on the computer you plugged them into? Can you do reiserfsck on it?

Since you don't have a valid configuration to rebuild anything from then it is OK and probably quicker to just start over with your new disks and copy the data back. If you do have any file system corruption you do need to fix that before you can expect to get good copies.

When you plug in a USB in unRAID you won't see it until you mount it. There are several ways to accomplish this. SNAP plugin is probably easiest. I think unMenu will let you do this as well. Also command line (see wiki).

I plugged it into a computer running backtrack linux, and was able to see all my files on there.

How would I check to see if I have any file system corruption?

Ok i'll take a look at the wiki and try that.  After I mount the drive it would show up in the unraid menu right?

I don't think you will be able to see a USB drive from the stock GUI but it doesn't matter since you will need to work with the disk from the command line to fix corruption or use mc to copy files from it to the new drives.

So i would have to fix the corruption first?  so it is ok too hook the drive up to another computer and run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

Yes, you can hook it to another PC and check the disks. You could do it with your backtrack linux PC if it has reiserfsck on it. Also check the SMART reports to ensure the disks aren't failing.

OYou could also put the 2T drives back in, initialize the array again and start over at the point where you begin to replace those drives with the 3T drives.

Before going to far I would investigate the system stability and the condition of the 3T drives. Having one red-ball indicates some kind of hardware issue that will continue to cause problems unless you eliminate it.

Yes, you can hook it to another PC and check the disks. You could do it with your backtrack linux PC if it has reiserfsck on it. Also check the SMART reports to ensure the disks aren't failing.

OYou could also put the 2T drives back in, initialize the array again and start over at the point where you begin to replace those drives with the 3T drives.

Before going to far I would investigate the system stability and the condition of the 3T drives. Having one red-ball indicates some kind of hardware issue that will continue to cause problems unless you eliminate it.

So it would be safe to put the 2 2tb drive back in and start it up?  Wouldn't it show up as a new drive?

So it would be safe to put the 2 2tb drive back in and start it up?  Wouldn't it show up as a new drive?

First set a New Config. Then assign any desired drives and build parity. Use the original 2T drives.

First set a New Config. Then assign any desired drives and build parity. Use the original 2T drives.

thanks a lot that totally worked.

Archived