Temperature on 4TB WD Red drives

rcrh

I've just rebuilt my server and replaced a number of 2TB drives with 4TB WD Red and I'm surprised by the temperatures I'm seeing on the Reds.  I thought on of the characteristics that made them a good choice for servers was their lower operating temps.  During my initial parity build I was seeing temps in the upper 40c range (47~49) while my older 2TB seagate drives were about 10 degrees cooler.  This leads to a couple of questions:

1) I'm I wrong about the temp expectation on the reds?

2) could something be reading the temp wrong from my reds?

3) is there any functionality that would log the temp of my drives over time so I can see if the rebuild process was simply a spike that I'll never have to worry about again?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Well. I have wd reds stacked up (8x4tb) in a mid atx case (Antec X1) and they are running in the lower 40s when I leave it on for days together. I have not fitted it with any additional fans, just the 2 that come on the case by default. Planning to get some sp for the front x 2 and 1 af for the rear, to maintain positive pressure and cool the disks. Processor temps are hitting late 40s and early 50s. Ambient temperature is about 40C without ac