Need advice MB/CPU for vt-d

Two Wire

Will the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 with the Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz be compatible for implementing vt-d. 

The board and cpu are located here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157500&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

and here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116898

Sorry for the above. I did not know how to hide the lengthly url's.

Should be fine, although it depends on whether or not AsRock has crippled the vt-d setting in the BIOS.  MOST modern boards don't have any problem with this as long as the CPU supports vt-d (which the one you've selected does).

ASRock is usually one of the better manufacturers for VT-D compliance. ASUS usually cripples/screws up things, and many other manufacturers are iffy. ASRock and SuperMicro seem to be the best bet to ensure compliance with the specifications (from what I've seen anyway).

Definitely agree that SuperMicro is very good at full spec compliance.  I've not had any issues with Asus boards either, although I've read some complaints.  In my experience it's usually because Asus (for some unknown reason) sets the defaults in the BIOS to disable vt-x and vt-d ... and it's not always obvious where to change those.    But once enabled, the features work fine.

Definitely agree that SuperMicro is very good at full spec compliance.  I've not had any issues with Asus boards either, although I've read some complaints.  In my experience it's usually because Asus (for some unknown reason) sets the defaults in the BIOS to disable vt-x and vt-d ... and it's not always obvious where to change those.    But once enabled, the features work fine.

ASUS has always been my board of choice, but there was enough noise around VT-D compatibility that I skipped it for my UnRAID box. From what I've read various BIOS builds can break the functionality even if it's enabled, and so I've moved to ASRock and SuperMicro for UnRAID and XenServer machines to be safe.

Also, from those who've contacted ASUS they don't appear to get great support on this feature, so again it's a reason to not even bother going down that road unless you have a very good reason.

... it's a reason to not even bother going down that road unless you have a very good reason.

Agree.  My UnRAID boxes all use SuperMicro boards.  They seem to be the most spec-compliant manufacturer, and the small price difference to use their boards is well worth it for both this and the rock-solid nature of their boards.

ASUS has always been my board of choice, but there was enough noise around VT-D compatibility that I skipped it for my UnRAID box.

Same here, and that is why I'm looking at other options. gytroyp, in the virtualization forum (known good Xen hardware configs) is  using practically the same board with success. It's using the z87 chip set, however. I used this as a guide in my selection hoping it would work with either Xen or KVM.

I did a small search for an up-to-date Supermicro board, but tired out after a while. If anyone knows of a Supermicro board using the Z97 chip set that would work as an option for my purposes I would appreciate it much. My problem is not many manufactures indicate in their specs if the board is vt-d compatible. Therefore, just knowing enough to be dangerous, I find myself relying on the experiences of others as protection aganist myself.  I have used the same MB since ver. 3 and updating to ver. 6, and virtualization, has energized me. I will have to find a IDE controller, however, to use some of old drives, though.

Thanks  all,  for the input.

catch-22 for me is that other than supermicro ... most consumer boards don't support ECC ram, but Asus does.  Unless you need 100% iommu support then asus might be worth it.  And it looks like my board (see sig) has the ability though I haven't tested it for sure

PCI Devices

00:00.0 Host bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port B) (rev 02)

00:00.2 IOMMU: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RD990 I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU)

00:02.0 PCI bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port B)

00:04.0 PCI bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port D)

00:09.0 PCI bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port H)

00:11.0 SATA controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)

00:12.0 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:12.2 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:13.0 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:13.2 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:14.0 SMBus: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)

00:14.3 ISA bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)

00:14.4 PCI bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)

00:14.5 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller

00:16.0 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:16.2 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:18.0 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 0

00:18.1 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 1

00:18.2 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 2

00:18.3 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 3

00:18.4 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 4

00:18.5 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 15h Processor Function 5

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 09)

03:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9120 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 12)

03:00.1 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE912x IDE Controller (rev 12)

04:06.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Rage XL PCI (rev 27)

Thanks all, for the help. I found some suitable Supermicro boards, but not being that "mission critical"

here, I decided to purchase the Asrock board and use standard memory. I will post my results in the virtualization forum when I put this together.

Thanks, Jerry

Archived