Disk won't spin down.

I've been using unRAID for a few months, and am having a problem with one of my disks.  I can't seem to get it to spin down.  Even manually spinning down all disks with the unMenu option leaves disk5 spun up.  I'm currently using 5.0.5

I tried using inotify, installing the package based on the instructions I found in this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17449.msg157730#msg157730 but when I go to invoke the inotifywait -rw /mnt/disk5 command, I get "-bash: inotifywait: command not found".  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Is there a step I'm missing to use this command?  Is there anything else I could do to check why one particular disk in my array is staying spun up?  I'm relatively computer savvy, but a complete noob to Linux in general.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this old thread due to an issue I am having.

I built a new unRaid setup for my Dad using a HP Microserver N54L and some spare drives I had laying around. For the most part everything is working great. The only issue I have is with one drive in particular will not stay spun down. I can manually tell it to spin down, but something is causing it to spin back up. I installed inotify from here and setup a watch on the disk. It never reported any activity, yet the drive did spin up. I don't' see anything in the logs.

I have the following Dynamix plugins intalled:

• WebGUI
  • Active Streams
  • S3 Sleep
  • System Info
  • System Stats
  • Plugin Control

No other plugins are installed.

As in pull the network cable from it? What is your though on this?

I just saw the statistics show 9 reads on that drive. How can I tell what is doing these reads?

Shut down or disconnect each device that has network access to the server one at a time and see if it stays spun down. You probably have something doing periodic content updates or something.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...