Unmenu installation help

Can anyone help me with the installation of unmenu or point me to a forum post or wiki on the installation – I have looked and cannot find what I am looking for.  I am new to unraid and linux an am wrestling with getting up to speed.  I am starting with the free version of unraid and at this time I do not have any drives in the computer (just an old ntfs drive – which I may want to mount using unmenu to copy some files) I tried following the directions on pg 9 of the unmenu thread and here is what I did:

I installed unraid using info in the wiki – everything works and I can see //tower from my web browser.

I then shut down unraid pulled the thumb drive and installed it in my windows machine.  I then created a boot folder on the root directory of the thumb drive with an unmenu subfolder.  All three zip files were extracted to /boot/unmenu.  When I navigate to this folder in windows all files are “greyed out” and the windows attributes indicate that they are hidden files – is this normal?

I then booted unraid and typed cd /boot/unmenu and it said directory not found – so I did cd /boot and I was in a directory so I did mkdir unmenu.  I then shut down installed the flash drive in the windows machine and extracted the files to this folder (in windows the unmenu folder was in the root directory of the flash drive – is this correct – the files were still hidden?).  I rebooted unraid and typed cd /boot/unmenu and it went to that folder I then typed ls and all the files that I extracted were listed.  I then typed uu and nothing happened a standard root prompt returned immediately.  I rebooted unraid and nothing had changed – ie no unmenu.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?  Do I need to set folder permissions for the unmenu directory?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Can anyone help me with the installation of unmenu or point me to a forum post or wiki on the installation – I have looked and cannot find what I am looking for.  I am new to unraid and linux an am wrestling with getting up to speed.   I am starting with the free version of unraid and at this time I do not have any drives in the computer (just an old ntfs drive – which I may want to mount using unmenu to copy some files) I tried following the directions on pg 9 of the unmenu thread and here is what I did:

I installed unraid using info in the wiki – everything works and I can see //tower from my web browser.

I then shut down unraid pulled the thumb drive and installed it in my windows machine.  I then created a boot folder on the root directory of the thumb drive with an unmenu subfolder.  All three zip files were extracted to /boot/unmenu.  When I navigate to this folder in windows all files are “greyed out” and the windows attributes indicate that they are hidden files – is this normal?

I then booted unraid and typed cd /boot/unmenu and it said directory not found – so I did cd /boot and I was in a directory so I did mkdir unmenu.  I then shut down installed the flash drive in the windows machine and extracted the files to this folder (in windows the unmenu folder was in the root directory of the flash drive – is this correct – the files were still hidden?).  I rebooted unraid and typed cd /boot/unmenu and it went to that folder I then typed ls and all the files that I extracted were listed.  I then typed uu and nothing happened a standard root prompt returned immediately.  I rebooted unraid and nothing had changed – ie no unmenu.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?  Do I need to set folder permissions for the unmenu directory?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

You are so close...

First, there is no need to create a "boot" folder when the flash drive is in a windows PC.  The drive is actually mounted at /boot when in linux as you discovered.  All you needed to do is create an "unmenu" folder.  When booted in the unRAID server, that folder will be accessible at /boot/unmenu.

Since you rebooted, the original unmenu process you started was terminated.   Since you already have all the files in place, all you need do is...

1. Log in via telnet as you did last time.

2. change directory to the folder with the unmenu files by typing:

cd /boot/unmenu

3. Start the unmenu process by typing:

uu

You will get a prompt back.  (every time you reboot the unRAID server, the unmenu process will need to be re-started,  It does not do this on its own.  You can add a line to the bottom of the config/go file to do this, but first get things working by invoking it manually.   When you reboot, it will need to be restarted by logging in, cd'ing to the correct folder, and typing "uu")

4. Then, on your windows PC, enter the following URL

//tower:8080

It sounds like you did everything but use the correct URL to get to unMENU, or you rebooted before trying the correct URL.   uunMENU uses a different port than the default system-supplied management interface, so you must supply the port number when invoking it as in the example above..    The default interface is always available at //tower   (unless you configured it to use a different name of course)

The Linux file-attributes will show up in windows as hidden and system files.  You should change the options in the file-explorer in windows to make both system and hidden files visible.  It will make things easier going forward for you.

The NTFS filesystem will be able to be mounted as READ-ONLY.

To be able to write to it you must download and install the NTFS-3G package. This can easily be done using the unMENU package manager, and thena also edit the unmenu.conf file to change the mount option for ntfs-3g from -r (read-only) to -w (read-write). This can be done using the unMENU Config View/Edit file-editor.   

Most of the time, when copying files from an NTFS drive, it is far safer to just leave the options as distributed (read-only), that way, nothing will be written to the NTFS formatted drive at all.

Joe L.

I then created a boot folder on the root directory of the thumb drive with an unmenu subfolder.  All three zip files were extracted to /boot/unmenu.  When I navigate to this folder in windows all files are “greyed out” and the windows attributes indicate that they are hidden files – is this normal?

Good first attempt but the mistake you made was creating the "boot" folder on the root of the flash drive.  Under linux the root of the flash is called "boot."  Your file structure now is essentially "/boot/boot/unmenu" and if you typed that into a telnet screen after having looged into the unRAID machine you would then be int he unmenu folder.  The fact that the files are hidden in window is fine.  There is a folder setting to show hidden and system files and you will have to enable that.

What you need to do is create ONLY the "unmenu" folder on the flash drive.  and then drag the files into there.  Once that is done you should be good to go.

I will take a look at the wiki and make sure to specify this information because it is something that seems to come up very often with people that are new to Linux in general.

EDIT:  OK, i made a change to the unMenu page so that this is pretty clear and hopefully this will lessen the confusion and number of post about this.  You can take a look at it here.  Let me know if i need to reword anything and I will try to fix it as soon as I can.

EDIT:  OK, i made a change to the unMenu page so that this is pretty clear and hopefully this will lessen the confusion and number of post about this.  You can take a look at it here.  Let me know if i need to reword anything and I will try to fix it as soon as I can.

I would move it up into the installation section and not in the "about" page bullet under the "plugin" section.  Other than that, looks good.

Cheers,

Matt

I would move it up into the installation section and not in the "about" page bullet under the "plugin" section.  Other than that, looks good.

Cheers,

Matt

Fixed.  I meant to put it there but I guess my mind is just not firing on all cylinder yet.