/dev/sda1 flash drive error on restart (Solved)

I always shutdown the server before removing the USB key as its inside my server on the motherboard port. Tried it twice now with disk utility. Its no good me running in safe mode as we have power cuts every 3 months and I need to keep my APC UPS on the system. The error doesn't really affect anything either. I will try running chkdsk from a PC in the next few days to see if that cures it.

Try doing the chkdsk on the flash so you know it's clean.

Then boot up and shutdown in safe mode a few times. Don't even start the array if possible.

If you are still getting the error messages from safe mode without the powerdown package installed, then there is something else wrong.

Perhaps with the flash itself.

if not, now you can power up, come up in safe mode, start the array, then shutdown and reboot.

Startup again and see what's going on.

There's no tell tale saying the issue is with powerdown and since there is a sync in there, the filesystem should be good.

If there's an issue with the flash, you can try to back it up, reformat it, reinitialize it with syslinux and then restore your files.

I would suggest you back up the flash anyway.

So Im at a loss as to the problem now i have run windows chkdsk. It couldn't find any errors on either of my Kingston Mobilite G2 adapters with 8GB Sandisk Ultra HC1 Micro SD cards in SD card adapters. So many users have put suggestions forward and I have not had any luck even after booting twice in safe mode prior to running windows chkdsk. Im wondering could it be the Sandisk Micro SD card's. Are any users who get the same error as me using normal USB keys or are we all using SD or Micro SD cards?

Yes I took it into my friends computer shop today and he showed me. He also said it found not errors on the drive. Maybe he done something wrong, I don't know or maybe I should try it again on a friends windows machine. The only thing Im wondering is I have notice a few things coming up in the past about read only but the switch is in the unlocked position on the Micro SD Card adapter and I can drag and drop and open and close files on the flash drive from my mac over the network fine.

I have attached a screen grab as the system shuts down. I don't know if it helps WeeboTech.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-31_at_00_21.jpg.158d230e52cb5bd51bdbd0382934474c.jpg

I have also tried what eroz said suggested below to clean the flash drive, done this twice and always rebooted a few times into safe mode and still getting the error:

"Give this a try.  If it doesn't work then it might be time for a new flash/sd card".  (The sd card is not locked into read-only is it?)

Stop the array.

unmount the flash drive.  (umount /dev/sdX1)

run fsck on the flash drive.  (dosfsck -av /dev/sdX1)  -a will automatically repair the file system and -v will be verbose.

reboot.

As soon as I run this it shows me the information in the image below.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-31_at_11_59.jpg.7eaf6362d5ab427b6345ba693f898a42.jpg

I'm not sure what all those numbers are.

Here's a man page on the dosfsck command.

http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/dosfsck8.html

You could try other arguments such as

dosfsck -w -r -l -a -v -t /dev/sdX1

However that will run in interactive mode and ask allot of questions.

The last choice is to back up the whole boot flash (you should do this anyway).

Reformat it, then do the syslinux thing again.

Then put all the files back.

Back up your flash first.

Then run the command with all the arguments.

the -a in prior invocations means autocorrect, but for some reason there are some issues that are not being autocorrected.

It will ask allot of questions. you will need to make a judgement call on the messages.

Well WeeboTech. I backed up my flash card and I have a spare card as backup as well and ran all the commands. It wiped my flash card except for the config and logs folder and there was no user intervention like you spoke about.

Anyhow I formatted my flash card on my mac and reinstalled v5.05 and made it bootable with my mac and then copied back all the files. I rebooted and it started a parity check. I stopped the parity check and then the array and rebooted a few times more and the message didn't appear once. Im now running a parity check just to make sure everything is okay but it looks like a format of the card has done the trick. Maybe the addition of powerdown 2.07 helped in some way as I added it this morning along with the latest Dynamix 2.2.8 and the APCUPSD I modified for powerdown 2.07. Many thanks to all of you guys who helped me. Im pleased that for the time being things seem to be working perfect.

One thing I did notice when running the dosfsck commands was that my flash drive was showing a Temporary Items Folder, a Spotlight-V100 Folder and inside a /.Trash folder which has come from my Macbook Pro. Im also wondering if this could also have had something to do with the problems I had, just not to sure.

Archived