Is a CPU Upgrade from Core 2 Duo E6420 worth it?

umirza85

I have an Asus Commando ROG motherboard I am moving my unraid server over to, it is running a Core 2 Duo E6420 along with 4gb of ram.

I will be upgrading the RAM as I have a couple sticks just laying around to 6gb, I know it might not make a difference but the sticks are just sitting around - Hopefully I can find a way to make use of them???

I was also wondering if I should bother upgrading my CPU while the server is torn down? It is currently a Core 2 Duo E6420 the following link lists all the cpu's my motherboard supports:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Commando/HelpDesk_CPU/

Im wondering if its worth upgrading? I am running unraid 6.0 beta 6 and looking at the features planned it seems to leverage a heftier CPU, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I was thinking one of the quad core ones like the  Core 2 Quads, or Core 2 Extreme's??

I would like to be able to use Plex and transcode a couple 1080p streams. I would also like to be able to install sabnzbd. Im seeing some Core 2 Quad Q9550 for around $90, and I dont think I will find a q9650 for close to that (I'd love to find a decently priced q9550s as it has an even lower thermal profile)

An E6420 scores 1371 on Passmark's CPUMark; and supports vt-x, but not vt-d.

A Q9650 Core 2 Quad (the best CPU on the supported CPU list) scores 4240 on Passmark; and supports both vt-x and vt-d.    So yes, it would be a significant improvement in your system - nearly tripling the "horsepower" and providing passthrough support for virtual machines.

Finding a Q9650 is a different story.  They are occasionally available on e-bay ... at the moment there are a couple available:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191247887638?lpid=82

An E6420 scores 1371 on Passmark's CPUMark; and supports vt-x, but not vt-d.

A Q9650 Core 2 Quad (the best CPU on the supported CPU list) scores 4240 on Passmark; and supports both vt-x and vt-d.    So yes, it would be a significant improvement in your system - nearly tripling the "horsepower" and providing passthrough support for virtual machines.

Finding a Q9650 is a different story.  They are occasionally available on e-bay ... at the moment there are a couple available:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191247887638?lpid=82

The virtualization was another feature that really interested me. Thank-you for explaining the benefits of upgrading to the core 2 quad.

Like you have stated the Q9650 is tough to find, and seems to be priced a little high. Would there be noticeable difference to me if I went with a Q9550 instead? If so I don't mind paying a little more, but as with some recent processors getting the top of the line isnt really the best choice.

Thank you for all the help, I guess it will all come down to price. If I can pick up a 9650 for $120 all in I will buy it locally else Im sure I can find a 9550 for around $90.

In regards to a slight overclock can the 9550 be made to match the performance of a 9650 easily?

In regards to a slight overclock can the 9550 be made to match the performance of a 9650 easily?

I'm not a fan of overclocking ... running a CPU above its designed parameters is simply begging for trouble.    But clearly it can work ... and as long as it's adequately cooled and not overclocked by a major amount, you can indeed do what you'd like here.  A 6% overclock of a Q9550 will give virtually identical performance to a Q9650 ... that would bump the clock from 2.83GHz to 299.98GHz ... virtually identical to the Q9650's 3.0GHz clock speed.

Both the Q9550s and Q9650 are harder to find and more expensive.  I recently got a Q9550 for ~$80 shipped - it's definitely the bargin of that group unless you want to try the Xeon adaptor ( http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/ ).

Regarding overclocking, I'd try the Q9550 at stock 2.83GHz and overclock if you aren't getting the performance you want - you don't need amazing performance, you just need enough performance for your needs.

You may want to look more closely at your motherboard re: virtualization.  I believe it supports VT-x (Vanderpool), but does not support VT-d.  I'm not running unRAID 6 yet so you'll have to ask others how much that matters.

The P965 chipset does not have native support for vt-d, so unless Asus designed that into the board, it won't work.  However, as long as you have vt-x support, VMs will run fine.  The two biggest negatives of not having passthrough support (vt-d) is that you can't run a high-performance graphics card natively in a VM; and you can't pass-through a disk controller to have native control of disks dedicated to a VM.  The latter is important if you're running UnRAID in a VM, but if you're running v6 and virtualizing your OTHER systems, that's not a big deal.

In any event, a Q9550 or 9650 would be a great improvement in what you have now and will make an excellent system for v6.