Toshiba Questionable Business Practices?

grandprix

I intend to keep this thread updated, as time goes on.

Upon reading some reviews, it would seem I'm not the only one they are attempting this with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396

Click on Reviews, then show the one egg reviews, then look at the review from a "Joe F." dated 07/18/2014 and that is:

Pros: Its fast. Quiet, Sata 3, and it was on sale for a good price point.

Cons: I should have known the price was too good for quality product. Drive died in a little over 1 year. The drive spins up, heads just clicking and unable to access through drive management in the OS.

Called to get RMA, get transferred to division in Texas, they verify the issue with the drive, warranty status, write up an RMA and send me the info. I box the drive and on the way to the post office I receive an voice mail and email saying that it's the wrong site for returning retail drives and they are cancelling the RMA, In addition I am welcome to call the other site, go through the entire diagnostic account and testing again for them to do an RMA.

Save yourself the aggravation.

Ok, that out of the way.  Onto my situation.

I had this drive (the one referenced in the NewEgg link) as my parity and 4 more as data drives.  I ordered two awhile ago and they preformed well, so I bought three more (one of the original two was the parity and a data drive) to serve as additional data drives.  Well, the one that was my parity started giving errors, errors that are typically read here on the forums as a cabling or backplane issue.  Instead, I would say without a doubt, they were (in this case/situation) caused by a bad hard drive controller (on the hard drive itself, not an SATA controller).

Anyway.  Around 1am on 09/01/2014 I went through the process of doing a "warranty check", which after it is found to be within warranty it gives the option to request an RMA for it (or them if you enter multiple serial numbers), which I opted to do.  I typed in my information and received the RMA number, procedures for packaging as well as the address in which to send it to within 30 days.  Roger that!

The copy/paste from the website:

Each container must reference the below information. Shipments received without proper identification will be refused.

Customer name and return address
        Contact person name and phone number
        RMA number 

Product being returned for repair/replacement should be shipped to:

space 	Toshiba C/O Fujitsu Network Communications
2791 Telecom Parkway
Dock 33-36
Richardson, TX 75082
US

The copy/paste from the email received a few hours later (at 7:03am on 09/01/2014):

PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY.IF YOU FEEL ANY DATA IS INCORRECT, PLEASE CONTACT US TOLL FREE IMMEDIATELY AT 877-689-4899.

RMA Number: SSWRxxxxxxx   Created on: 09/01/14

Hard Drive Return Address                    Replacement Ship Address
_________________________                    _________________________

TOSHIBA AMERICA ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, INC.  xxxx xxxxxxxx RD
C/O Fujitsu Network Communications           GOOSE CREEK SC 294xx
2791 Telecom Parkway                         UNITED STATES
Richardson TX 75082                          ATTN : Jxxxxxx xxxxxxx
UNITED STATES                                Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
ATTN: RMA# SSWRxxxxxxx                       Fax  :
Visit us at our WebSite                      Email: [email protected]
http://storage.toshiba.com

Model Number   Part Number              Serial Number     RMA Type

DT01ACA300     HDKPC08A0A01S            43Nxxxxxxxxx      RS

PLEASE PRINT 2 COPIES OF THIS PAGE. INCLUDE A COPY WITH THE DRIVE YOU ARE RETURNING.

This RMA is valid for 30 calendar days from the date of issuance. The RMA number will be cancelled if product is not received within this time frame.

Estimated turnaround time is 30 days from the date we receive your defective product.  However it may be longer depending on stock availability.

Please Note:
- Send in Enclosure only (received CDs, Y cables, extension cables will not be returned).
- Replacement products have a 90 day warranty from the date that the RMA was issued or the remaining duration of the original drive warranty, whichever is longer.
- Please remember to include a copy of this form when sending in the defective drive(s).

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BELOW. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT ALL PRODUCT RETURNS COMPLY WITH TAEC-SPBU'S WARRANTY PROCEDURES AND PACKAGING AND SHIPPING GUIDELINES TO ENSURE WARRANTY ELIGIBILITY.

For Warranty Procedure:
http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/warranty-return-procedure

TOSHIBA HARD DISK DRIVE PACKAGING POLICY:

The Toshiba Hard Disk Drive product consists of delicate mechanisms employing very fine engineering tolerances and electrically sensitive devices that can easily be damaged, hence due care is required during normal installation or removal as well as during transportation.

To safeguard against any damage that may unnecessarily invalidate your warranty claim while the product is in transit for warranty service, it is important that you adhere to the following instructions when returning the product.

Dos

-    ESD Bags - Toshiba initially supplied the hard disk product in an anti-static bag to safeguard against electrostatic damage; please place each product in an anti-static bag when returning faulty product.
-    Original Packaging - All products should be returned in the original shipping carton (if possible).
-    Product Protection - When the original carton is not available, the preferred method is the use of foam inserts to enclose the product completely on all surfaces with 2in or 5cm foam per surface.
-    Alternatives -If foam inserts are not available, it is acceptable to use bubble wrap. Several layers of bubble wrap may have to be used to build up a minimum of 2in or 5cm wraps per surface.
  -  The product must be adequately supported on ALL sides and not placed loosely inside the carton.
-    Information on Box - The RMA # must be clearly marked on the outside of the shipping carton.
     Also: Customer / Contact Name, Return Address, Phone Number

Don'ts

-    Poor Packaging - The use of padded postal bags, foam peanuts, paper or shredded paper packing filler material is strictly prohibited, as these will not support, stabilize or provide protection to the product while
     in transit and will invalidate the drive's warranty.
-    Labels - All extra labels or stickers that interfere with the Serial number or Part number Bar-Code must be removed. If the Bar code is not accessible or scan-able, this condition will invalidate the drive's
     warranty.
-    Extra Hardware - All mounting attachments, interface cables, or rails must be removed before the product is returned. If fitted, they will not be returned.

Any delivered product that does not conform to this packaging policy will be rejected.

Your co-operation in these matters will enable Toshiba to reduce the turn-around time for your warranty claim and will also provide Toshiba with better and more reliable failure information of the product, resulting in higher quality products and superior product support.

When returning the product for warranty please familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Limited Warranty, Warranty Exclusion's, Returns and Packaging Policy, otherwise your warranty claim may be invalidated.

To view examples of acceptable and not acceptable packing please the click the link given below -
http://storage.toshiba.com/docs/default-source/services-support-documents/toshiba_hdd_packaging_policy

So tonight at 5:40PM (Eastern), I get a call from "Fujitsu Network" at (972) 479-6560, a "Nina".

Now, after I got home from mailing out the drive (I prefer not to procrastinate), I went to the NewEgg site to look at reviews for the drive and that is when I ran across the one I copy/pasted and made reference to above.

Thus, I was a little prepared when I got this call (I honestly figured maybe it was an isolate incident OR they had taken the two minutes for the webmaster to fix the address it was telling customers to mail it to after the incident with that Joe F. fellow), but didn't think I would receive it.

So I was not friendly.  Not at all.  I told them in so many words, that they should likely think twice before attempting to scam me out of my replacement and/or create damages in the form of time without a drive and/or unnecessary shipping charges (according to another review which I cannot find at the moment, another person had this issue as well, he/she was informed that they would ship it back to him/her on his/her dime and then he/she would need to "send it to the correct address" despite that address NOT being the one the RMA process provided).  I informed them, that I would not hesitate to contact my states Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs.

I like to think I'm a friendly guy, will give my last shirt off my back to help someone, but, just as I'll go the extra mile to be nice, I wont bat an eye to be the complete opposite when I believe I'm "being done wrong."

Now, things are early in this game, I understand that.  However, I could not in good conscious allow someone from this community to make a purchase without first knowing my story and situation thus far.  Good or bad results of this RMA, I'll post the details as time goes on.

Now looking at the smart reports of the existing Toshiba drives, I see one that has UDMA CRC errors, which, while would normally be considered a cabling or SATA/HBA controller issue, I can say with almost an utmost certainty that it is the hard drive itself (it's controller or whatever else).  So, I'll have to RMA that as well.

The worst case scenario is that they are going to attempt to scam or defraud me by not honoring their warranty service (which in of itself is a whole other story, if reviews from others are correct -- they received equally or totally DOA drives as their REPLACEMENT drives), the best case scenario is that they are an extremely disorganized company.

I'll keep all posted.

I just noticed this as well reviewing my post:

Poor Packaging - The use of padded postal bags, foam peanuts, paper or shredded paper packing filler material is strictly prohibited, as these will not support, stabilize or provide protection to the product while
     in transit and will invalidate the drive's warranty.

Really?  So their plastic end cap things that go onto the drive that are then placed in a retail box, of which is then placed in another cardboard box with like 40 or some other retail packages is ok, but, the use of foam peanuts, paper or shredded paper is PROHIBITED.  Notice that they technically say that the simple USE! of it is prohibited and would invalidate the drives warranty.  They didn't say that "the use as the sole supportive/cushion material."  So legally, if you put the drive in the ESD bag, with the retail end caps, in the retail box then place that small box into a 2 foot cubed box with peanuts all around this retail box, the very use of the peanuts would invalidate the warranty.  Hmm...

I replied to the RMA confirmation email, turns out either it went to this Nina or she is the selected representative.  Then out of curiosity I called the number provided, and, that too resulted in Nina answering the phone.  I'm beginning to think it's a one woman show in the RMA department.  Or coincidence is high.  Not truly relevant, but interesting never-the-less.

This isn't "good news" in my opinion, in fact I firmly believe it should go without saying.  However, here is an email I received this morning in response to the notification I sent them of my intentions should they decide not to honor their RMA/warranty process.

Hello xxxxxx,

Per our conversation over the phone your message was  passed on to our Corporate office who has agreed to accept the drive and support with a replacement.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Best regards,
Nina Robertson
         CSR
PH: 877-689-4899

Please send your Product Warranty Inquires to this email address:

Please note new email address change.

[email protected]

The hard drive is en route, so the ball is in their court now.

I returned a Hitachi branded drive and got a Toshiba branded drive back maybe a year ago and it was easy to do and went just fine.

Your explanation is rather poor. You posted that this Nina called and that you were blunt with her. You completely left out what she told you?

Most likely, they are shifting around their operations and things are getting confused in the shuffle.

I returned a Hitachi branded drive and got a Toshiba branded drive back maybe a year ago and it was easy to do and went just fine.

Your explanation is rather poor. You posted that this Nina called and that you were blunt with her. You completely left out what she told you?

Most likely, they are shifting around their operations and things are getting confused in the shuffle.

No, I don't win any awards for my comprehension or writing skills, it sucks to not be in the likes of some whom have mastered it.  Sorry.

She informed me that I would have to send the drive to a different address.

• 1 month later...

Update: I was later informed via telephone that they would honor the warranty, despite sending it to the "incorrect address" (the one that was provided by the RMA system - hopefully they had their web coder change the address that is shown and sent to email by now for those doing RMA's anymore).  I went to check the status this past Friday and -nothing- showed up using the RMA information (RMA number, email, serial number, etc.).  It was an otherwise good Friday, as most are, so I didn't want to get involved in questioning someone why the status was returning a message to suggest there was no such RMA, let alone hard drive with the serial number, that was in RMA process.

Good thing I suppose, because Monday after work, I returned to find a hard drive on the porch.  Yep, on the porch.  But, it didn't get stolen (obviously) so, it is what it is.  Opened the package, which was packaged very well, I mean someone could have sent their child in this thing with no concerns and, what appears to be a new hard drive.  It's still in the non transparent ESD bag and because I'm not sure I want to use it for my own needs, I wont be opening it to see if the label on the drive itself indicates a refurbished drive or not.

So there we go.  I emailed them suggesting they ensure the shipping address is corrected.  It's not too reassuring when you ship an item to an address they provide, wait a day or two, then call you informing you that address is incorrect.  Then go on to read a review where someone else experienced the same issue and got the shaft as a result.  But, again, I did get a replacement.  It's warranty is good until May of 2015.

Even though you don't need the drive at the moment, I'd open it, connect it to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it -- just to be sure it's good.    You don't want it sitting on a shelf, only to find out when you eventually need it that it's DOA.    It's not a common occurrence, but warranty replacements DO arrive DOA.

Even though you don't need the drive at the moment, I'd open it, connect it to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it -- just to be sure it's good.    You don't want it sitting on a shelf, only to find out when you eventually need it that it's DOA.    It's not a common occurrence, but warranty replacements DO arrive DOA.

It depends on how/where the drive will be stored. If you live in Texas and will store the drive in the habitable zone of the AC required house, the sealed ESD with desiccant may not be required. But if the drive is going to sit on the shelf in a NJ basement, best to keep it sealed. Opening or not opening the warranty period remains unchanged, but sealed the shelf life is extended.