Very slow parity check and trouble transferring files

laevy

Hello,

I am having problem with my Unraid system. Ever since I added my latest WD Red 4 TB Drive I have had problems populating the Unraid system from my torrent machine.

I have done a parity check and it was chugging along at 40 mb/sec until I hit 78%. Ever since then it's only been 10 kb/sec. Obviously, there seems to be an issue with my newest drive. I attached a screen cap as well as a copy of my syslog from about 3 minutes of this parity check.

What can I do? Will I be able to just replace the drive and rebuild?

Need your help, please.

Thanks

Syslog.pdf

Unraid_Screen.jpg.204d4075035912cb2326d7a9d3052271.jpg

That syslog shows that the disk connected as ata7 is having major issues  (you did not include the start of the syslog so it was not possible to identify exactly which disk this was).  Not sure if the disk has failed or simply dropped offline for some reason, but it appears it is not responding.

You mention a new drive. Is this an additional drive or a replacement for a previous one?  If it is a new drive are you sure your power supply is capable of handling the number of drives you have (it might be worth giving the make/model).  If it is a replacement drive then the issue is more likely to be in the area of cabling assuming the drive is not actually failing.

Did you put the new drive through any sort of stress-test before installing it (e.g. running the pre-clear script) as a significant proportion of new drives fail very early in their lifecycle and you want to do something to identify such drives before trusting data to them.

Here is my power supply: http://www.corsair.com/en/tx750w . I think it should handle the drives I have hooked up so far.

You are correct - I have a similar power supply running 20 x3.5" drives and 2 x2.5" drives without any issues.

I have not checked the cabling. I will check that out.

This is my newest drive, but not a replacement drive. I did not preclear it, but I have with a couple of my other drives.

A shame - pre-clear is very good at showing up early-life mortality on drives (if this is what your problem is).  However I know I have skimped myself as it can take a long time as drives get larger.

If it's not the cabling then what should I do?

Interesting question.  Hopefully it IS cabling as that is easily rectified.

If it is not the cabling then you are going to need to test the drive in some way to see if it really is failing and needs to be RMA'ed.  Ideally you should copy any data off it ASAP in case it really is failing.  I would suggest the first step is to get a SMART report to see if it that shows anything suspicious.

At this point a number of options that spring to mind:

• [Run a full SMART test on the drive.  This would take a long time but has the advantage that it can be done with the drive in-situ on unRAID (but you need to disable any spindown as it would abort the test).
  • Attach the disk to a PC and run the Manufacturers diagnostics against it.  I find that I prefer the Seagate tools against the WD ones as they run significantly faster, and are fine for basic tests on any manufacturers drives.
  • Run a full pre-clear cycle against the drive.  This would wipe any existing data on it but is a good test of the drive

The results would help you decide if the drive is actually OK or if it needs to be RMA'ed for a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived