full disk now showing as 'unformatted' Yikes!

grither

Yes it is disk 8. This is the unformatted drive that i replaced. I almost formtted it but then got concerned that i might be formatting the virtual disk and therefore deleting my data!  So i decided not to format it and let the drive rebuild

I did not realize that the 'rebuild' was actually taking place.  (You snapshot shows 0% progress.)  I would let it finish and see what happens.  unRAID is usually bulletproof in such cases.

I  have only had to rebuild a disk once. (That was on my test bed and it happened because I was 'experimenting' ---- That's a technical term for screwing around!)

I've rebuilt a couple and I'm pretty sure they did not say unformatted. However I haven't been in this exact situation whereby the disk I am rebuilding was previously unformatted.  I will let it finish for sure. Prob will be Friday morning by time it's done. My hunch is that it will finish but then still say unformatted. I guess at that point I could try running Reiser rebuild at that point

The disk will not magically change to formatted just because you did a rebuild.  A rebuild just does a sector level copy of the 'emulated' disk to the real physical disk and sets up the replacement disk exactly as the one that is being replaced.    The disk was showing as unformatted before because of file system corruption, so the rebuild will replicate the file system corruption and on completion it will still show as unformatted.  The difference is that now with any luck now be able to run reiserfsck successfully without getting it fail due a hardware error so that it can run to completion and data be recovered.

so the unraid drive replication completed.  went to run --rebuild-tree this morning but got different error, right before it started

it seems to want me to rebuild the 'super block' which i'm not sure what that is... i tried to do it but it asked me a bunch of questions such as journal type, what block size, what version such as 3.5.*, and a bunch of questions i really wasn't sure about!  any advice?  below is what came up when i tried to rebuild tree

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md8

Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/md8.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

--rebuild-sb.

root@Tower:~# reiserfsck --rebuild-sb

Bump for a desperate user?  I think my closest thing to a plan is to start the Reiser check command and follow what it says. Failing that I guess I'll put the original drive in my windows pc however I'm guessing even if I can get a windows program to read the Reiser file system, it prob won't be able to because of the file system corruption

Bump for a desperate user?  I think my closest thing to a plan is to start the Reiser check command and follow what it says. Failing that I guess I'll put the original drive in my windows pc however I'm guessing even if I can get a windows program to read the Reiser file system, it prob won't be able to because of the file system corruption

Again, don't panic a this stage.  Try googling 'reiserfsck manual'.  I found these pages among many others.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dapper/man8/fsck.reiserfs.8.html

and

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.0/adminguide-9.0/node29.html

I am no expert on Linux and particularity the reiserfs file system but I think  if you did a bit of research you might find some information to help you if no one else will jump in and give you some assistance.  Please remember that eight hours is not a super long period of time as many of the experts who read this board also have jobs and families. 

As a further thought, user itimpi indicated that some additional work might be required.  You might try a personal message to him and request his assistance...

well i think my journey is over.  the rebuild-tree did run to completion

but i think the files are too corrupted.  the job finished, i rebooted, and the drive appeared, no longer as unformatted, it was now formatted!  but i noticed the space used was around 500mb, whereas it used to be a full 2tb drive.  as well, when i look at the files on the drive, there really aren't any, just a folder called lost and found.  furthermore i can't seem to open this lost and found folder

edit:  was able to change permissions and enter the lost and found folder.  i can see the files that were lost but they are fragmented and unusable

i appreciate all the help, at least i have some visibility into what was lost

the real bummer is that i really don't even know what caused this in the first place.  the drive must have just flaked out i guess

here's the final report from the job

Tower login: root

Linux 3.9.6p-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# screen

920) - corrected to (2696328)

vpf-10670: The file [2874 2880] has the wrong size in the StatData (4149623954613780570) - corrected to (8192)

vpf-10680: The file [2874 2880] has the wrong block count in the StatData (344266924) - corrected to (0)

The object [2874 2881] has wrong mode (?-wx------) - corrected to -rw-------

vpf-10670: The file [2874 2881] has the wrong size in the StatData (13855567545492873540) - corrected to (1952)

vpf-10680: The file [2874 2881] has the wrong block count in the StatData (3760233556) - corrected to (8)

Flushing..finished

Objects without names 1323

Empty lost dirs removed 98

Dirs linked to /lost+found: 146

Dirs without stat data found 1

Files linked to /lost+found 1177

Pass 4 - finished done 445168, 97 /sec

Deleted unreachable items 300511

Flushing..finished

Syncing..finished

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sat Sep 27 04:09:23 2014