Dead motherboard : how to find the parity drive

xbmcjb

Hi,

My tranquil pc bbs2 (on unraid v5) finally died after more than 5 years ! The good thing I shutted down the tower properly and it never restarted so I've good hope that the content of the 5 drives is still recoverable.

My plan is to build a new server from scratch with the exact same drives. I don't know where I put the screenshot of the devices page... is there another way to get the assignment info ? is it somewhere on the bootable usb key with unraid ? If not, should I try to mount each drives in another linux workstation to be able to identify the parity drive ? It seems to be THE important thing to do. (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Motherboard_in_Your_unRAID_Server)

Any other advices ?

Thanks !

Hi,

My tranquil pc bbs2 (on unraid v5) finally died after more than 5 years ! The good thing I shutted down the tower properly and it never restarted so I've good hope that the content of the 5 drives is still recoverable.

My plan is to build a new server from scratch with the exact same drives. I don't know where I put the screenshot of the devices page... is there another way to get the assignment info ? is it somewhere on the bootable usb key with unraid ? If not, should I try to mount each drives in another linux workstation to be able to identify the parity drive ? It seems to be THE important thing to do. (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Motherboard_in_Your_unRAID_Server)

Any other advices ?

Thanks !

If you boot from the usb key without modifying any of the files on it, and all the hard drives are accessible on the new hardware, the array will probably just come back up like nothing happened. Unraid isn't like windows, it doesn't get bent out of shape if you switch all the hardware. If you erase the USB key, or it is dead, you can still figure out which drive is which by assigning them all as data drives, and starting the array. The 1 drive that shows unformatted is the parity drive.

Remember, your license key is tied to that specific flash drive though, so I would just do like you said, and put all the drives including the USB into a new system, and boot to the USB and you will probably be fine.

If you boot from the usb key without modifying any of the files on it, and all the hard drives are accessible on the new hardware, the array will probably just come back up like nothing happened.

Note that this is only true because you were running v5 -- very fortunate that you had upgraded  :)  The old v4.7 would have "balked" if the drives weren't in the same "slots" -- very likely the case since you're booting on new hardware.

But it will boot with no issue on v5.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the key benefits of UnRAID => the whole OS is on the USB flash drive; and there are no system dependencies ... the only requirement for a successful boot is that the drives are present, and of course that the underlying Linux OS has the appropriate drivers for your hardware.  [And even if it doesn't, it's not going to "hurt" anything -- it just won't boot successfully.]

Archived