New Config for Upgrade?

tdallen

Hi, I'm about to upgrade from 5.05 to 6.0beta10a.  It's my second time, I had some issues the first time - red balls and failed parity checks after the upgrade even though the disks were good.  I'll post a separate thread with more details if that happens again, I'm getting lots of logs for each step in the process this time.

My 5.05 setup is pretty simple - just a few user shares.  My question is, given that I had some trouble the first time, should I copy over the config directory from 5.05?  Or are there advantages to starting with a completely clean 6.0 install and a new config... And are there disadvantages to this approach, other than the time to complete a parity sync?

Any advice appreciated.

I'm not sure what happened the first time.  I was attempting to add a SAS2LP, move several existing drives from my motherboard to the SAS2LP, add a new parity and data drive, and upgrade to 6.0beta10a.  After the final step I encountered red balls and smart reports while running a parity check under 6.0beta10a that indicated a loss of connection to the drives, which cleared up on reboot.  I couldn't tell which of the many changes had caused the problem, though, since they all seemed fine at the time.  I reverted to the original 5.05 configuration, and have been much more careful this time, capturing syslogs and smart reports each step along the way.  I have the SAS2LP and new parity drive in place, so I'm ready to upgrade to 6.0beta10a again.  Just want to give myself the best chance for success this time.

I'm not sure what happened the first time.  I was attempting to add a SAS2LP, move several existing drives from my motherboard to the SAS2LP, add a new parity and data drive, and upgrade to 6.0beta10a.  After the final step I encountered red balls and smart reports while running a parity check under 6.0beta10a that indicated a loss of connection to the drives, which cleared up on reboot.  I couldn't tell which of the many changes had caused the problem, though, since they all seemed fine at the time.  I reverted to the original 5.05 configuration, and have been much more careful this time, capturing syslogs and smart reports each step along the way.  I have the SAS2LP and new parity drive in place, so I'm ready to upgrade to 6.0beta10a again.  Just want to give myself the best chance for success this time.

There are still a few people having similiar issues with the current beta.  Unless you are in a hurry, there is a new beta coming soon, so I would wait and see if the issues clear up any before doing the upgrade...  I have 2 unraid servers and one has never had an issue with v6, and the other had similiar reboot/red ball issues until for what ever reason I booted under Xen and the problems cleared up.  I am aslo running hte SAS2LP cards in both, and the one having an issue happened on another card as well, so I don't think it is a particular issue with that card.

@Traxxus - I actually did the upgrades one step at a time and did limited testing, but didn't do full parity checks to stress the system and pull logs each step.  Oh, well - like you said, live and learn.

@jphipps - Hmm, thanks for the info.  I may give it a try anyway (betas here seem to be like a fine wine - they take time to develop  ;D), but that's a good heads up - I'll need to be prepared to revert to 5.05.  Just curious, what are the specs on the machine that is/was having similar issues?

Archived