Is remote access to shares possible?

Pandemic

Sorry for the generic title.

Is it possible to create individual secure shares that someone would be able to access via FTP? I'm just considering upgrading my internet and allowing people to do off site backups to my unraid server. Likewise, I may want to allow people to remotely download some content from a share.

Possible? Recommended? already done?

Sorry for the generic title.

Is it possible to create individual secure shares that someone would be able to access via FTP? I'm just considering upgrading my internet and allowing people to do off site backups to my unraid server. Likewise, I may want to allow people to remotely download some content from a share.

Possible? Recommended? already done?

This can be done, the better question is how do you do this safely since unRAID was not designed to be internet facing.

• 3 weeks later...

I used smoothwall for a while but don't have it active anymore. Very secure but very picky.

Anyway, will look into the openvpn option.

Try Smoothwall 3.1 32bit with Zerina Mod (OpenVPN). I've used and installed Smoothwall firewall on over 200 boxes since version 2.0 and it's by far easier to use "out-of-the-box". Never experienced anything picky about it and far easier than Pfsense.

Archived