[SOLVED] Quick question, before I destroy my array

Dropkick Murphy

I had some problems a while back with a hard drive cage which ended up corrupting a bunch of data on a drive and rendered it impossible to use, or delete. I have since re-ripped all those files and moved them to other drives but I need to use the disc that is corrupted elsewhere because it is brand new.

1. Is my best bet to pull that drive out and use the "new config" utility to write new parity?

2. If so, will that wipe out my current shares (I need to know so I can copy all current settings before doing it)?

If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears. Thank You

P.S. After I get that drive out of there I plan to use the preclear utility before reusing it.

1. Is my best bet to pull that drive out and use the "new config" utility to write new parity?

If you use the New Config to setup the array without the problem drive then you can leave it in place until you need to physically remove it.  Before doing the New Config make sure you know the serial numbers of the drive you wish to remove and also your parity drive as getting one of them wrong when re-assigning the drives would lead to problems.  After doing the New Config you will need to do an initial parity sync to get parity for the new set of drives and get them into a 'protected' state.  After that it is a good idea to do a parity check to confirm that the new parity was written correctly and can be read without problems.

2. If so, will that wipe out my current shares (I need to know so I can copy all current settings before doing it)?

All top level folders will re-appear as shares.  They may, however, get reset to default settings for a share so you if any of your current shares have been changed from their defaults you should know what the changes are.  Having said that, in my experience the share settings normally survive the process. 

P.S. After I get that drive out of there I plan to use the preclear utility before reusing it.

An excellent idea as even new drives can go faulty, and the likelihood is slightly higher very early in their lifecycle.  That would be one reason for not physically removing the drive as part of step 1) above and instead doing it after the pre-clear.

Archived