Network Issues

johnje

Just began setting up Unraid 6.0b12 on a test machine and am experiencing network issues.

The box is unable to pull an IP address via DHCP from my router, nor is it able to communicate with my network when assigned a static IP.

None of the hardware has changed in this machine and it works fine under Unraid 5.0.5.

Here are the two network.cfg files I tested with:

1) Fresh network.cfg from the install package:

# Generated network settings

USE_DHCP=yes

IPADDR=

NETMASK=

GATEWAY=

2) Static config used with 5.0.5:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP="no"

IPADDR="192.168.0.171"

NETMASK="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

Neither of these configurations is working under 6.0b12, so it leads me to believe that there may be a hardware compatibility issue introduced somewhere.

Attached is two complete syslogs, one attempting to use DHCP and one using the static config above.

The box connects using the built in NIC on the motherboard (Nvidia NForce 790i Ultra SLI).

If there is any other information that could prove helpful, please let me know I'll be happy to provide it.

syslog_dhcp.txt

syslog_static.txt

Yes, it does.

I've tried with both interfaces.

Have also tried manually toggling the interfaces down / up with ifconfig with no result.

The only configuration change between the 5.0.5 setup and the 6.0b12 setup is the USB drive (both identical Lexar 8GB sticks).

No BIOS settings or hardware has changed (other than USB drive), all cables and other equipment are in working order.

Thanks for looking into this! If there is anymore information needed please let me know.

Looking at your syslog, I'm getting a bit confused.  I see in both those syslogs a kernel panic followed by

Feb 20 17:21:05 Tower kernel: skge 0000:03:09.0: unsupported chip type 0x3d
Feb 20 17:21:05 Tower kernel: skge: probe of 0000:03:09.0 failed with error -95

My google-fu shows that skge is the driver for Marvel Ethernet chipsets

But then its loading the Realtek R8169 Driver.

It tries to connect

Feb 20 17:29:02 Tower dhcpcd[1349]: eth0: waiting for carrier

But it never negotiates the carrier

Dunno.  Try a different port on the switch with both ports on the mobo.

After that, downgrade to v5 and if it works, then we know that its incompatible...  Something is definitely up with that kernel panic and your hardware

Or, just disable the onboard NICs and add a gigabit network card.

Archived