Replacing parity and data disk.

dikkiedirk

I plan on retiring my RAID0 parity volume on an ARC1200 card and replacing it with a 4 TB Hitachi disk. I also plan on upgrading a 500 GB data disk to 4 TB. What would be the correct order to do this? First parity and then data or vice versa or it doesn't matter? I already ran a parity check a few days ago. Should I run a corrective or non-corrective parity check after rebuilding the data disk?

I plan on retiring my RAID0 parity volume on an ARC1200 card and replacing it with a 4 TB Hitachi disk. I also plan on upgrading a 500 GB data disk to 4 TB. What would be the correct order to do this? First parity and then data or vice versa or it doesn't matter? I already ran a parity check a few days ago. Should I run a corrective or non-corrective parity check after rebuilding the data disk?

You cannot upgrade a data disk unless your parity is at least the size of the new data disk.  I would suspect that this probably means you should do the parity drive first.  If your parity is already large enough then the order probably does not matter.  However after you have replaced the parity disk you should run a parity check to confirm that the new parity disk was written correctly before making any other changes.

After upgrading a data disk I would do a non-correcting parity check to confirm that all went well during the rebuild.  It should show no errors.

The biggest data disk is 4 TB and so is the parity volume on the ARC 1200. Should I run a corrective parity check after the parity is rebuild on the new parity disk?

It should not make any difference which type you run I would have thought.  You are looking to have 0 errors.

The biggest data disk is 4 TB and so is the parity volume on the ARC 1200. Should I run a corrective parity check after the parity is rebuild on the new parity disk?

It should not make any difference which type you run I would have thought.  You are looking to have 0 errors.

Actually this is the ONE time I recommend using a non-correcting check.    My normal parity checks are always correcting (why would you not want to correct any errors ???).    But after a disk rebuild, I want to confirm there were no errors in the rebuild, so I run a non-correcting check, so that if there ARE any errors you can repeat the rebuild.

As for which to do first ... as already noted, it really doesn't matter.

Just be sure you do a parity check (correcting) BEFORE you start and ensure the system has no errors.

Then replace the first disk ... and do a non-correcting check.

Then replace the second disk ... and do one more non-correcting check.

Done  :)

Archived