Can you update program within the docker without updating docker?

Hi Guys

I am running needo's docker for Sickrage. The program auto checks for updates. It says I am so many commits behind. I click update (within Sickrage) and it appears to update as when it is clicked and I check for updates it does not show any. I was under the impression you can not update a program within a docker but rather I would have to goto unRAID dockers and check for updates and then update entire docker.

Are both ways ok? What am I not understanding?

Thanks

Its a complicated question but for reliabilty, adn the way it should work, you need to change the way you think of apps via docker.

Docker containers should be point in time. So this means they are shipped direct from the developer to you known to work.

It is the developers job to push out updates, in essence new points in time.

if you deviate from this then your running you own version and should not bug the developers for any bugs etc

Ordinarily you shouldn't be updating apps in a docker but certain things (sickrage being one of them, others like couchpotato and sickbeard also) update so frequently with things getting fixed or api's on the sites they get metadata from changing etc... that these apps normally have an "edge" routine to allow for updating on startup and from within the app.

But for other apps then you should be looking to docker maintainer to provide updates, bearing in mind that not all updates apply to the docker scenario.

Docker thing is starting to sink in. Still some things don't make sense but you guys are helping me out. So long answer short I can update from within app specifically for sick rage but as a general rule I should be updating the docker as an entirety.