Freed up space, but where is it gone

dikkiedirk

Since all disks in the array were filled to capacity, with only 20kB left, I upgraded the smallest from 500 GB to 2 TB. I planned to move some files of several disks to the new upgraded one, and so I did.

In MC I moved some files of the first disk but there is no space freed up, still only 20kB free shown in the webgui and in MC.

So where is this freed up space? Is this another Linux or XFS trick? How do I get the freed up space back?

Your sig shows you're still on Beta 10 -- if that's right, I'd upgrade to Beta 14b before doing any more of the moves.  I don't recall which Beta had the Reiser corruption issues ... I think that was fixed by 10, but am not certain.  [i assume that's irrelevant anyway, since you implied you're using XFS, but it would still be a good idea to update so any fixes in the last 4 Betas are included in your system].

As for your "missing" space ...

If you didn't simply move them to another folder on the same disk [Easy to check -- just confirm they're on the new disk where you intended them to be], then try rebooting your system to force a reread of all the directories.

Your sig shows you're still on Beta 10 -- if that's right, I'd upgrade to Beta 14b before doing any more of the moves.  I don't recall which Beta had the Reiser corruption issues ... I think that was fixed by 10, but am not certain.  [i assume that's irrelevant anyway, since you implied you're using XFS, but it would still be a good idea to update so any fixes in the last 4 Betas are included in your system].

As for your "missing" space ...

If you didn't simply move them to another folder on the same disk [Easy to check -- just confirm they're on the new disk where you intended them to be], then try rebooting your system to force a reread of all the directories.

Thanks Gary, I'll update my sig because I'm on beta14 now, not on 14b though.

Archived