Is crashplan easier to install these days?

I opted to install Crashplan on my Virtualbox VM because of the simplicity of using windows, and because Crashplan was kinda iffy on top of unraid.  Has that process gotten easier using Unraid v5?  I see that there is a Crashplan GUI plugin, but is there a Plugin for the service itself?  About how much memory does CP use on unraid?  Using my windows VM, it uses about 1.5GB of RAM, backing up about 4TB

How many files are you backing up?  Over 200,000?

The easiest way is the docker in v6, but this still requires the use of a windows pc to view progress in the gui.

Currently there is work being done to create a Linux VM that will be able to display the Crashplan GUI all natively. If it works as planned this could be the cleanest solution.

about 112K.  Its interesting because Crashplan has been working fine for a year, then I shared a thread where my unraid server shutdown unexpectedly.  After that, Crashplan would crash while scanning files (out of memory).  I was forced to up the memusage to 1.5GB (max for my 32bit win7 OS according to crashplan documentation)

Now, its usually all of it and I only have 2GB total in the VM.  So I am curious why the sudden shift in CPs memory needs when nothing has changed on my side.  My only option is to maybe allocate more RAM to the VM, but I thought I would at least investigate running it natively on unraid.

RIght now, I am using Symbolic Links in windows 7 to backup my unraid server.  Worked flawless till the above-mentioned issues.

The recommendation I got from CrashPlan is to have at least 4 GB memory for my 4.2 TB backup (76000 files). Otherwise there is a risk that the daily rescan will crash and restart without being able to do a full scan. To manage this you need Windows 64 bit and the 64 bit CrashPlan client.

I am running Docker myself and once setup its working fine.

I use the Docker as well, but I find that it uses too much memory for my liking.

I have a cron job that starts docker at 1am and then stops it again at 6am.

Running it 5hours a day is plenty to sync up everything from that day.

Have you tested the scheduling in the CrashPlan app (I haven’t tested it myself). Would guess that memory usage drops as soon the backup stops.

• 1 month later...

I use the Docker as well, but I find that it uses too much memory for my liking.

Have you tested the scheduling in the CrashPlan app (I haven’t tested it myself). Would guess that memory usage drops as soon the backup stops.

I did use the scheduling, however even when it isn't backing up, it just seems like the java part of it is bloated or something and uses too much resources for my liking.

I did use the scheduling, however even when it isn't backing up, it just seems like the java part of it is bloated or something and uses too much resources for my liking.

If you are talking about the Docker with the CrashPlan GUI (and not the Docker with the CrashPlan server) it is correct that this Docker requires a lot of resources but it’s not because of the CrashPlan GUI. You don’t need to keep this Docker running, just use it when you need to change settings, check status or to restore a backup.